Icons

Involved development of the OpenMW construction set.
Nomadic1

Re: Icons

Post by Nomadic1 »

You may or may not be missing Potions and Journal from that list.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I made a mockup for an editor icon, based on the current Moon and Star logo we use, but with a cog instead of a star. Might serve as inspiration for someone who can create proper icons:

EDIT: Why not use one of the good existing open-source icon libraries for the other icons and only make the icons that are too specific to be in the icon library ourselves. That'll save us some work and would provide us with a general style and palette for the icons we need to create.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

pvdk wrote:I made a mockup for an editor icon, based on the current Moon and Star logo we use, but with a cog instead of a star. Might serve as inspiration for someone who can create proper icons:
I really like it.
EDIT: Why not use one of the good existing open-source icon libraries for the other icons and only make the icons that are too specific to be in the icon library ourselves. That'll save us some work and would provide us with a general style and palette for the icons we need to create.
+1
Tango project, QT stock icons, etc
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

I like the idea for the icon, pvdk. it's clever.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

Do the icons have a specific size, shape and format that they need to be?
Zini

Post by Zini »

You may or may not be missing Potions and Journal from that list.
Potion yes, journal not exactly. There are no separate journal records. They are part of the dialogue system. I would like to split these up, but I am not entirely sure if we can do it. Will ponder about it.

Anyway, I fixed the initial posting. Thanks for pointing out the potion mistake.
The problem is, we want a consistent style. That makes mixing stock icons and custom icons a bit problematic, I would think. More importantly what icons from the list exist as stock items? I would expect them all to be too MW-specific.
I like the idea for the icon, pvdk. it's clever.
I agree.
Not entirely sure about these. For the format, I would say png. Seems the logical choice for a cross platform project.

The shape should be somewhat consistent, but you can also use different shapes to indicate certain subgroups in the icon set (e.g. all 3a icons have a common general shape, all 3b icons have a slightly different general shape).

For the size, I really don't know. Should be suitable to display in a table, (maybe) in sub-window titlebar and also as a drag and drop icon. Qt-guys, help me out here. What would be a good size? Do we need different sizes?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Okay. Finished pondering about splitting up dialogue records. Let's do it. That makes:

- regular topic
- voice
- greeting
- persuasion
- journal

Will update the initial posting again.
craziwolf

Post by craziwolf »

Zini wrote:
Not entirely sure about these. For the format, I would say png. Seems the logical choice for a cross platform project.

The shape should be somewhat consistent, but you can also use different shapes to indicate certain subgroups in the icon set (e.g. all 3a icons have a common general shape, all 3b icons have a slightly different general shape).

For the size, I really don't know. Should be suitable to display in a table, (maybe) in sub-window titlebar and also as a drag and drop icon. Qt-guys, help me out here. What would be a good size? Do we need different sizes?
Ok no worries well Im in for some custom icon dev :) give me a few days as I have a full on week and I will look at doing a icon kind of like the one pvdk has mocked up. got some good ideas :)
Last edited by craziwolf on 28 Nov 2012, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

pvdk wrote:I made a mockup for an editor icon, based on the current Moon and Star logo we use, but with a cog instead of a star.
That's a great idea! Morrowind had a swiss army knife, that didn't make much sense. Although, the cog is usually associated with settings, making it look more like an icon for a config tool than an editor, but I cannot think of any other item that has a shape similat to the star. I guess one could replace the moon with another item like a hammer, but then the icon would differ too much from the OpenMW icon.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

Tango project, QT stock icons, etc
Tango. I LOVE tango icons.