Default graphic settings to show improvement over vanilla engine

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Time4Tea

Re: Default graphic settings to show improvement over vanilla engine

Post by Time4Tea »

lysol wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 19:12 It doesn't matter really. ECLD higher than 1 or 2 tanks the fps for 99 % of all users so it is plain dumb to suggest a high number as a default setting or even as a toggable setting in the launcher. It works well for you? Neat. But it won't for most people, so let's wait for decent distant statics and batching support instead. Otherwise we'll get even more threads in support asking why they get slideshow performance.
My machine is a Dell desktop that was barely mid-range when I bought it (~7 years ago). On to that I added an NVidia GTX 1050 that cost ~$150. So, I'm not exactly running a liquid-nitrogen-cooled supercomputer here. Unless 99% of the user base is trying to run it on their cell phones, I suspect you're exaggerating a little.

I mean, you guys don't like ECLD and that's fair enough. I'll stop banging on about it. But what you keep saying about breakage and performance issues just doesn't jive with what I'm experiencing.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

You've also got your shadow settings much lower than most people who'd even consider turning ECLD up would have them. Shadows multiply the performance difference.
Chris

Post by Chris »

People who turn up ECLD are also likely modding their games, and having high quality meshes and textures can also increase the load caused by extra cells. Have cell preloading enabled too? That's more pressure.

It's not the we "don't like" ECLD (if we didn't, it would've never been added), but it's wise to keep in mind what it's for; to help test the loaded-cell-related impact on the engine, and for making extra pretty screenshots where framerate is unimportant. But as a general extended-view option, it's a brute-force solution to a problem that can be handled more efficiently in other ways.
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 16 Apr 2020, 21:58 You've also got your shadow settings much lower than most people who'd even consider turning ECLD up would have them. Shadows multiply the performance difference.
It is true that I'm prioritizing view distance over shadow quality, which is probably why I'm noticing the other issue I mentioned with the shadows.
Chris wrote: It's not the we "don't like" ECLD (if we didn't, it would've never been added), but it's wise to keep in mind what it's for; to help test the loaded-cell-related impact on the engine, and for making extra pretty screenshots where framerate is unimportant. But as a general extended-view option, it's a brute-force solution to a problem that can be handled more efficiently in other ways.
I totally accept it's not the ideal solution and in theory, there are better ones. But, the fact is that right now, it seems to be the only option available for achieving an extended view distance with objects (which I would think would be high on the desirability list for many players). So, given that it seems stable and works at least to some extent on moderately good hardware, I find it curious that it's not accepted more as a temporary solution.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Time4Tea wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 02:44 I find it curious that it's not accepted more as a temporary solution.
It's because you're one of the 1 %. You won't believe every time we've had to deal with people that complain about bad performance and don't undestand why. The setting is there, you are free to use it and you are free to recommend it to people. But don't come here telling us to make it a default setting or to recommend users to use it unless you plan on joining our tech support™.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

lysol wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 12:51 But don't come here telling us to make it a default setting or to recommend users to use it unless you plan on joining our tech support™.
Gah... don't scare off potential tech support™. :lol:
Time4Tea

Post by Time4Tea »

lysol wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 12:51 It's because you're one of the 1 %. You won't believe every time we've had to deal with people that complain about bad performance and don't undestand why. The setting is there, you are free to use it and you are free to recommend it to people. But don't come here telling us to make it a default setting or to recommend users to use it unless you plan on joining our tech support™.
I think OpenMW is an awesome project. I'm happy to be part of the community and try to help other users who are having performance issues, as far as I can. Here are two threads in the 'support' forum that I posted in recently:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6777

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6831

In the first one, I posted my settings file, to try to help. In the second one, I was genuinely interested in why the other user was getting such poor performance, but they didn't reply to the thread.