Bound Weapons Expiry Desired Behavior

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
frostmoth
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/pchizek

Bound Weapons Expiry Desired Behavior

Post by frostmoth »

In 0.46.0, when a bound weapon expires, and you previously had a different weapon equipped, it is immediately replaced in your hand with that weapon. This behavior could somewhat be seen in a recent be seen in a recent bug (#5223). For reference, in vanilla, the player will re-draw the previous weapon they had, unless they have an attack charged or charging, in which case they will attack with an empty hand and draw after the attack completes.
In terms of gameplay, what would the desired behavior be? To me it would make sense to either make them immediately redraw their previous weapon or just have them suddenly have a weapon not drawn. The latter would be easiest to implement, as I could simply set the player's draw state to "DrawState_Nothing" in the appropriate situation within "Actors::removeBoundItem"
Let me know what you guys think.
DestinedToDie

Re: Bound Weapons Expiry Desired Behavior

Post by DestinedToDie »

Just my opinion, but forcing the player to immediately draw the previous weapon makes sense. No use swinging a weapon that doesn't exist anymore.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Would be cool to have the bound weapon "fade out" (lower the opacity) quickly when the time expires, and then, when the weapon is no longer bound, play the equip animation for the previously equipped weapon.

This probably makes more sense with Lua scripts though I guess?
ronnavarium

Post by ronnavarium »

lysol wrote: 16 Dec 2019, 10:02 Would be cool to have the bound weapon "fade out" (lower the opacity) quickly when the time expires, and then, when the weapon is no longer bound, play the equip animation for the previously equipped weapon.

This probably makes more sense with Lua scripts though I guess?
This would seem to make the most sense to me as well, and the most "realistic" solution, since most other effects "fade" in a similar manner.