git status

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

git status

Post by Zini »

I would like to remind everyone again that it is very important to do a git status before you do a git commit. We had repeatedly cases where developers accidentally committed files. Checking git status is the safest way to avoid that.
Greendogo

Re: git status

Post by Greendogo »

Why don't you sticky a list of reminders at the top of this sub-forum for developers? I notice you occasionally make mini announcements here but they get lost in time.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well, these things are specific to a current deficit in the development process. Normally developers should know these things, so I am posting reminders if I see people neglecting these (for whatever reason). Little point in polluting the forum permanently with this stuff.
I have written down some advice along these lines in the developer section of the wiki (and I am pointing every new developer towards it). But even that gets ignored often enough, so I doubt adding a forum sticky would help much.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

I use/would recommend gitg as I prefer it over the terminal for checking over a commit (pretty colours etc)
corristo

Post by corristo »

Or your favorite IDE SCM plugin :)
Zini

Post by Zini »

Yeah, what ever suits you. Just make sure to verify what changes you commit, before you commit.
hircine

Post by hircine »

my bad. I did this in my branch, but i fixed it :P

Git is pretty new to me. forgive me o great Zini.
Zini

Post by Zini »

No problem. You are certainly not alone in making this mistake. I guess git was new for many people when they started working on this project (it certainly was for me; was a Bazaar user before).
hircine

Post by hircine »

Yeah, I'd like to thank Scrawl who has been helping heaps with Git on IRC. I love our growing community :D
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

corristo wrote:Or your favorite IDE SCM plugin :)
Yeah, I really need to find something for Vim + Git. I am sure there is loads out there, just lazyness is getting in my way :) I will see what I can do after this weeks hell (Maths coursework)