[v0.43] What is the current status of the Enchant skill?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Mythrrinthael

[v0.43] What is the current status of the Enchant skill?

Post by Mythrrinthael »

I'm asking here partially because the wiki says it's been changed after implementation.

Is self-enchanting anything beyond basic trinkets still impossible without hefty substance abuse? What's the current formula (written out mathematically as opposed to the code on the wiki)?
Capostrophic

Re: [v0.43] What is the current status of the Enchant skill?

Post by Capostrophic »

The chance calculations are as follows:

(Enchant + 1/4*Intelligence + 1/8*Luck) - enchantment points * 7.5/enchantment chance mult (3.0 for normal enchantments, 1.5 for constant effect enchantments)

where the skills are player character's, enchantment points should be calculated in exactly the same way as in vanilla, and enchantment chance mults are GMSTs, 3.0 and 0.5 (the former is multiplied by latter if constant chance enchantment is applied) by default.

The original... difficulty... is replicated.
Mythrrinthael

Post by Mythrrinthael »

Capostrophic wrote: 01 May 2018, 09:31 The chance calculations are as follows:

(Enchant + 1/4*Intelligence + 1/8*Luck) - enchantment points * 7.5/enchantment chance mult (3.0 for normal enchantments, 1.5 for constant effect enchantments)

where the skills are player character's, enchantment points should be calculated in exactly the same way as in vanilla, and enchantment chance mults are GMSTs, 3.0 and 0.5 (the former is multiplied by latter if constant chance enchantment is applied) by default.

The original... difficulty... is replicated.
I needed a moment to realize you weren't saying "Enchant plus one, divided by four, multiplied by intelligence" but were using fractions. So, it's

Code: Select all

([Enchant skill] + 0.25 * [Intelligence] + 0.125 * [Luck]) - ([Enchantment points used] * 7.5 / 3.0|(3.0 * 0.5))
if I understand this correctly?

I know I can modify the enchantment chance multiplier in OpenCS and export it as a mod, but is the rest of the formula hard-coded?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

but is the rest of the formula hard-coded?
Yeah, it is.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Capostrophic wrote: 02 May 2018, 10:55
but is the rest of the formula hard-coded?
Yeah, it is.
... So far. If I've understood Zini correctly, stuff like this will probably move to be defined in files/modified directly in the CS and exported as mods or something similar, right?

EDIT: Just edited out a comma that might confuse.
Last edited by lysol on 02 May 2018, 14:21, edited 2 times in total.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Right, AFAIK that was the plan.
Zini

Post by Zini »

... So far. If I've understood Zini correctly, stuff like this will probably move to be defined in files/modified directly in the CS and exported as mods or something similar, right?
The formulas will be moved to scripts and when loading legacy game files (i.e. Morrowind.esm) a suitable script will be injected during the loading process.