Bug #4394 Quick load issue, Good for a beginner?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
x1ph0z

Bug #4394 Quick load issue, Good for a beginner?

Post by x1ph0z »

Hi guys,

Saw this bug on the bug tracker, and thought it would be good starting point for someone new to the project? How would I be able to assign myself this task, or even if I should? Also anything I should know with the general flow of working on issues?

Thanks
Capostrophic

Re: Bug #4394 Quick load issue, Good for a beginner?

Post by Capostrophic »

There's no consensus on that issue, and I doubt there will ever be, so leave it off for now, especially considering there's already a (rejected, but technically fine) PR by one of the developers.

The issue can't be assigned on yourself because you don't have a developer role on the bugtracker.

The general contributing guidelines are here.
x1ph0z

Post by x1ph0z »

Oh ok, how do I gain a dev role with the Bug tracker? And would it be better to take issues from openmw or openmw-cs? I'm more familiar with Morrowind than it's construction set, since I only played on the og Xbox.
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

>Oh ok, how do I gain a dev role with the Bug tracker?

I imagine you ask someone who has the ability to give you such role. Maybe Lukasz, or scrawl. It's not that important, though. Just make sure to tell you're working on an issue on its bugtracker page.

>And would it be better to take issues from openmw or openmw-cs?

A matter of preference, it's not like the development is organized or there's a lot of "freelancers" right now. I can only give some hints.

There's only one person working on the editor at the moment (unelsson, another beginner), you could help him. OpenMW-CS greatly differs from TESCS visually and technically. Damn, even if you're fluent in OpenMW's codebase, OpenMW-CS' one can still be intimidating. Our editor is not feature-complete, has some major and minor flaws and cannot be compared with OpenMW's level of "finished-ness".

But learning the mechanics of how everything works in OpenMW is very helpful if you want to move to the editor later, and there are still some smaller non-Editor issues on the bugtracker that desire to be fixed.