Remove MyGUI from codebase

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
pvdk

Remove MyGUI from codebase

Post by pvdk »

Hey guys.

Is it possible to remove MyGUI from our codebase? It is available as a package for most Linux distros and it would save us some compile time (and save some space in the source and binary packages.)

I ran some tests and the only things we need to do is move the openmw-resources dir and make some CMake changes and come up with a good FindCMake macro. (I don't know if it still works for win64 as I saw some fixes in the repository for that but I guess we could supply that as a patch.)

Regards,
pvdk.
Zini

Re: Remove MyGUI from codebase

Post by Zini »

If we need a modified version of MyGUI, it should stay in the repository. If that is a general purpose patch (not specific to OpenMW), you could submit it to the MyGUI team though. If they accept it and publish a release with it, we can take our copy of MyGUI out of the repository (I would be more than happy about this outcome).
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

I see no OpenMW-specific commits to the code, other than the CMake file we included. The changes to the code are indeed general-purpose, to allow MyGUI to compile on win64. The issue it solved is already fixed in MyGUI's SVN repository, so there's no need to send in patches.

I'll work on removing MyGUI from our repository.
gus

Post by gus »

Maybe we could also update our version of MyGUI in the same time: our version is rather old, and getting help on the forum might become harder and harder as fewer people will have this version.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Is there any reason to rush it? Having the fix only in SVN and not in a release is kinda suboptimal. Also, about your claim that MyGUI is available as a package for most distros, at least on mine it doesn't seem to be in the official repository.

I vaguely remember that peppe mentioned there being some compatibility problems with newer MyGUI versions. Does OpenMW even compile with a newer version of MyGUI? I don't remember the details and I could be entirely wrong about it.

Unless there is a very compelling reason to remove MyGUI now, I would suggest waiting a few more months.
Zini

Post by Zini »

@gus: Our MyGUI copy being to old might indeed become a problem. But as I wrote above we need to check first, that OpenMW works with newer versions.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Zini wrote:Also, about your claim that MyGUI is available as a package for most distros, at least on mine it doesn't seem to be in the official repository.
It is available as a PPA for Ubuntu and is available for Arch, Fedora and OpenSUSE. I did not check other distros.
Zini wrote:I vaguely remember that peppe mentioned there being some compatibility problems with newer MyGUI versions. Does OpenMW even compile with a newer version of MyGUI? I don't remember the details and I could be entirely wrong about it.
I tried to compile it with MyGUI 3.2 RC2 but it breaks on several deprecated functions. We would have to do some rewriting to get it to work. But the version we use is not too old, the current stable release of MyGUI is 3.0.1. The fix for win64 is not in that version.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Think I saw a list of those deprecated functions somewhere in the MyGUI subforums: http://www.ogre3d.org/addonforums/viewforum.php?f=17
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

To be honest, I think it best to wait until it gets out of PPA and into the standard Ubuntu distribution. I hope that it is included in precise pangolin which is expected to drop in April 26th. The less the user has to do the better. Then we can modify the deb (cmake) to include the dependency.

I do not see this as a target for 0.12 release, but maybe 0.13?
Zini

Post by Zini »

Completely out of question for 0.12.0. Unlikely for 0.13.0 I would say, unless this release takes unreasonably long again. But 0.14.0 might be an option.