Weapon sheathing

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
terabyte25

Re: Weapon sheathing

Post by terabyte25 »

Thunderforge wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 02:13 Can we make weapon sheathing an optional feature from the Advanced panel and merge it into master?
Shouldn't OpenMW stay away from having an option for everything?
Zini

Post by Zini »

More options are nearly always a good thing. But we would want to give the options primarily to the content developers. The advanced panel is just a stopgap solution.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Tried OpenTTD? They have like a gazillion settings in that game. And I love it.
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

On the topic of settings, would a search bar in the advanced tab be possible?
terabyte25

Post by terabyte25 »

lysol wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 13:54 Tried OpenTTD? They have like a gazillion settings in that game. And I love it.
I am for adding settings as long as their layout is compact and not an eye sore.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I had a quick look. There are a few minor code quality issues that need to be addressed. Apart from that I do not see a reason not to merge.
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

There is a question about how must-have things (for example, weapon sheathing, glowing windows, animated containers, etc.) ever should be implemented in OpenMW.
Should we have such things out of box without need to use a 3d-party code, our we should leave it to Lua scripting to make these features more flexible?

About weapon sheathing:
1. There is still no full understanding about how it should work for throwing weapons.
2. MWSE users encountered conflicts between some mods and this feature (for example, many NPCs in the Animated Morrowind have their tools implemented as shields or weapons). So Greatness7 was forced to add black lists (do not use this feature for given weapons, for given NPCs or for NPCs from given mods, etc).
For shields holstering (which is out of my pull request yet) situation is even worse.
Should we address this issue somehow?
3. If we want this feature to be embedded to the engine, I'd suggest to review carefully stuff about injecting custom bones. I am not sure if it does not cause issues, despite I did not encounter them yet.
Zini

Post by Zini »

1. There is still no full understanding about how it should work for throwing weapons.
Then exclude them for now?
for example, many NPCs in the Animated Morrowind have their tools implemented as shields or weapons
Crap. I didn't think of that. Which is dumb, because I did the same thing on Redemption. After 1.0 this won't be necessary anymore because we will have the Held Items object type. But for now that is a problem. We really don't want to go into the blacklist stuff (more dead weight that we would have to carry around with us after 1.0).

Not sure how to proceed here. We could just say to the user: If a plugin causes problems with this feature, then switch this feature off. But that is kinda dirty. Sounds like a possible road block for the merge. Would like to hear other opinions.
3. If we want this feature to be embedded to the engine, I'd suggest to review carefully stuff about injecting custom bones. I am not sure if it does not cause issues, despite I did not encounter them yet.
Agreed. That needs to be done by someone who has some experience working on our animation system and that is not me (damn, I miss scrawl).
akortunov

Post by akortunov »

In theory, it is possible to add a hack - if a shield has a zero AR, or AR >= 100, consider it as a hold item instead of shield, but I do not like it much.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Agreed. We should try to avoid these kind of hacks.