OpenMW on android flipped textures

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
xyzz

Re: OpenMW on android flipped textures

Post by xyzz »

Thanks, I know how GPL works. I was more wondering if you guys made any more agreements with bethesda that I'm not aware of.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The actual email back-and-forth is floating around somewhere, but I can't remember how to find it right now. That would tell you absolutely everything you might need to know.
Sartur

Post by Sartur »

They can be found on the Wiki, right here: https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Bethesda_Emails
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm pretty sure we didn't need to remove the screenshots from the first post of this thread after rereading that. Hosting a few screenshots of a bug in a development thread isn't really making Morrowind the poster child of OpenMW on Android, after all.
raevol

Post by raevol »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 03:22 Hosting a few screenshots of a bug
It's just a gray area thing, better safe that sorry. After the initial surprise, Bethesda was really nice to us, so we should try to make best efforts in return.

As for binaries, @psi29a will have to answer that...
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

One last thing before it's somewhat playable is the cursor - there's no hardware cursor like on other platforms, so we need to draw it. I'm not sure where that code should be put, any advice?
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

xyzz wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 19:51As an aside, I was wondering if it's okay for me to post prebuilt APK files so people can test on their devices and report whether they have textures flipped or not - and what forum section I should post that in.
Yes, please do. The more people who test, the better. There is no IP issues that I'm aware of, just openmw wrapped in java sauce right? :)

As for the images thing, I rather let imgurl take the heat. :P This also means in our bug-tracker as well.

Just be prepared for lots of people asking for help on how to install and get it running. This could eventually make it into our documentation (RTD).

We we should also do is make a ready-to-run openmw with the example-suite. That way people can install it and have openmw running without Morrowind. That would be easier for Bethesda to swallow I think. If people want to install Morrowind to run on openmw, they can still do that.

What do you think?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The S3TC patent expired, so there are no issues with texture decompression anymore. Provided you're using a recent enough build of OSG (either from their master branch or our fork) there's even the option to decode DTX compressed textures in software.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There's a couple of potential issues with removing you completely from everything. Firstly, if we ever need to relicense OpenMW (for example because a bug/loophole in the GPL means it needs changing or because it turns out to be incompatible with something we want to support, much like how Dolphin Emulator needed to be relicensed because its original one was incompatible with Android) it could be a pain if we can't contact people and they've never made any declaration that a change in licence is okay. This is probably minor as it isn't all that likely to happen and if the worst came to the worst someone else who hadn't read your contributions could be tasked with reimplementing them.

A more important issue, though, is that removing you as an author from your commits will change git's version of history, and that will break every fork of OpenMW. You'll also still show up in the commit history for all these forks, too. There's not all that much anyone can do about that as by pushing the code to your GitHub you granted everyone and their mother the right to have their own copy of it, and some people have done that. Once it's on their GitHub or their computer, we can't remotely edit it.
sandstranger

Post by sandstranger »

[quote=AnyOldName3 post_id=52322 time=15162761
A more important issue, though, is that removing you as an author from your commits will change git's version [/quote]
It only commits in Android repository , not main openmw repo
It can be rebased without any issues , lol
But if bethesda will have any claims against me in future
I'll just finish my life by suicide and will write that Bethesda made me to do it