Configuration/Path Handling/Packaging

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Re: Configuration/Path Handling/Packaging

Post by lgromanowski »

Code related to configuration clean-up is pushed to config branch.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I commented on it in the pull request. Apart from the points mentioned there, we also need to adjust the global openmw.cfg file.

Originally I thought we would need a separate file for each platform, but with the new token system, a single file might be possible.

I suggest the following order for the data paths:
1. "Data Files" in the install location
2. "data" in the global location
3. "data" in the local location

On Windows #2 and #3 would be the same, but I guess that won't cause any problems.

And for data-local the "data" directory in the user location.

I am not so sure about the local openmw.cfg (used only when running the uninstalled version). If we don't adjust it, the data directory of an installed MW instance won't be found by an uninstalled OpenMW instance.

I guess it depends on, if we can get an installer for Windows ready. Do we have any news on this from our Windows guys?

Edit: And we also need to make the launcher use the configuration manager, because otherwise it would miss the token translation stage.

@pvdk: Can you have a look at it?
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

Zini wrote:I guess it depends on, if we can get an installer for Windows ready. Do we have any news on this from our Windows guys?
I have never created an installer for something before, but if someone would be kind enough to give me some pointers I could try my hand at getting CPack for windows working.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Minor correction to the posting above: Obviously for the installed version having a data directory in local is pointless. So it would be only #1 and #2 for --data.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

After some trial and error I got windows packaging sort-of done.
It creates a viable installer but the developer in question needs to download the Visual C++ Redist fitting to the version of Visual C++ that was used to compile it. It also needs to have all the Ogre, Qt and other DLLs in the Release folder when you generate the project. (I'm not sure if that's the way you're supposed to do installs but it seems to work)

I was wondering though, is the installer supposed to find any existing Morrowind installations or do we leave that for the first launch of OpenMW/Launcher/Other?
Zini

Post by Zini »

I was wondering though, is the installer supposed to find any existing Morrowind installations or do we leave that for the first launch of OpenMW/Launcher/Other?
The new configuration system will pick up the location of the MW installation at each start. You can even have OpenMW installed globally (for all user) and running it for different user with different local install locations for MW will work. Doesn't even require different configuration files anymore.