Terrain

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
ElderTroll

Re: Terrain

Post by ElderTroll »

@Zini

There is a thread on the Ogre forum where one of the team members said he wants to wait to release 1.8 until after GSoC which will be either late summer or early fall. http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewforum. ... 7b3ed3ed06
Zini

Post by Zini »

Let's look into that again when we 0.13.0 is done.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

The issue that made us unable to release using 1.7.x was only an issue when compiled with debug mode I think. Terrain could be put in before Ogre 1.8 but it would need a flag to enable/disable it so that it doesn't get in the way of people debugging OpenMW.

But yeah. I agree with Zini ;)
Zini

Post by Zini »

As I understand it the crashes I was getting with the terrain code were specific to 1.7. Or am I confusing something here.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Zini wrote:As I understand it the crashes I was getting with the terrain code were specific to 1.7. Or am I confusing something here.
Yes, I could only reproduce the crash with 1.7 debug builds.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Threw the terrain code through a profiler and the loading time issue is the composite maps. I thought they were handled differently (i.e. created in another thread) but as it uses RTT this isn't the case.
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I already suspected something like that. Maybe it would be best to disable the composite map altogether (or at least make an option to disable it) since the GPU load it takes away stands in no relation to the cell loading time it adds.
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

Yeah, if we need it in the future I am sure we can find a way of spreading the work out over multiple frames.

Also, Ogre 1.8 should (in theory) give us some more terrain performance improvements.
hircine

Post by hircine »

Yacoby wrote:Yeah, if we need it in the future I am sure we can find a way of spreading the work out over multiple frames.

Also, Ogre 1.8 should (in theory) give us some more terrain performance improvements.
could you batch the work you are doing?

like do X amount of work, then when that has been processed, do another lot of work?
Yacoby

Post by Yacoby »

hircine wrote:could you batch the work you are doing?

like do X amount of work, then when that has been processed, do another lot of work?
In theory yes, you could divide the work into 36 segments. It would be a bit of a pain to do however and it isn't worth putting in the time when we are not sure it is a problem. I would need to go and sit down with something like nvPerfHud to see what the FPS issues are on my terrible card.

But I reckon done for now. There are always more things such as distant land and splatting isn't perfect (there are some seams visible), but it should be good enough for now.

Picture:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26677509/caldera.png