Set up dev environment, builds fine, runs like garbage

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
nipuresu

Set up dev environment, builds fine, runs like garbage

Post by nipuresu »

Hi all! So after a lot of stubbornness on my part I was able to set up a dev environment with Visual Studio 2015 for OpenMW. (Mostly by following the gist here and the amazing before_script.msvc.sh)
I had to make a few adjustments to the script for gitbash to not terminate unexpectedly at certain parts, if that matters.

The solution and OpenMW project seems to build fine, but the resultant openmw.exe runs... slowly, at 1-15fps. Task manager shows a whopping 55% CPU usage.

By comparison, my normal OpenMW 0.42.0 install runs beautifully at 60+ fps and maybe 4-8% CPU usage.

What gives? Have I done something wrong? Is my poor CPU being left to do all the heavy lifting, with no usual help from the GPU?
Forgive me, like many others here I am somewhat new to this. It's a surprise that my rudimentary programming skills have gotten me this far.

Here is the build output from within Visual Studio:
Spoiler: Show
system information (if thats relevant):
Spoiler: Show
Thanks!
AnyOldName3

Re: Set up dev environment, builds fine, runs like garbage

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That's expected for a debug build as optimisation is off. If you want it to go faster, try switching the configuration with the drop-down at the top of Visual Studio.
nipuresu

Re: Set up dev environment, builds fine, runs like garbage

Post by nipuresu »

Ah I see. I expected some drop in performance, i guess just so much had me thinking something was wrong. Never really worked with anything this big before.

Building release solution now.

Thanks for the help!