Animation

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
jhooks1

Re: Animation

Post by jhooks1 »

Got it up to 40fps in the same test. Committed the slightly more efficient handleAnimationTransforms() to a new branch animperform.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I think I have finally found what is limiting our animation performance, it is the timeIndex function - which I basically took from nifskope. Need to figure out why it takes down performance so much.
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

jhooks1 wrote:I think I have finally found what is limiting our animation performance, it is the timeIndex function - which I basically took from nifskope. Need to figure out why it takes down performance so much.
I don't know how much it gain, but it would be good to pass times vector as const reference instead of value.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Thanks, didn't seem to help much though.

I think eventually what we may need to do is:
Instead of interpolating each frame while the animation is running, interpolate 100 times per second in the NIFLoader. After each interpolation the bone values--rotation and translation-- would be pushed into a std::vector. When animations run, they pick the value closest to their current time. This would take a lot of memory though and could take a very long time to process.

EDIT: Would take 100*34(number of transformations in a npc)*(12 + 16) * 360 (length of npc running time in seconds) / 1024 / 1024 MB

About 33MB
ezzetabi

Post by ezzetabi »

I do not know how much it can help, but if you do not need the C memory layout of std::vector (usually used with &v.front() while calling to a C function) consider using std::deque.

std::deque never reallocate, so if you do not know how many elements allocate before starting it might give a performance gain. On the other hand accessing the single elements is a little slower, so only a test can confirm.