Looking to understand how to work with OSG in OpenMW, would this tutorial help?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
mattwla

Looking to understand how to work with OSG in OpenMW, would this tutorial help?

Post by mattwla »

The only tutorials I could find for OSG are deprecated. so I was wondering if this OpenGL tutorial would help me out: https://learnopengl.com/

Would going through that help me out at all in working in OpenMW, or should I stick to figuring out OSG? Maybe outdated OSG tutorial would still be useful?

Thanks,
AnyOldName3

Re: Looking to understand how to work with OSG in OpenMW, would this tutorial help?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

If you're going to be working with OSG, it might be a good idea to have some knowledge about what you can do with OpenGL and how it's achieved. Also, knowing some GLSL could help with modifying OpenMW's shaders. I'm pretty sure that a lot of the stuff an in-depth OpenGL tutorial series will teach you, though, will turn out to be done completely automatically by OSG.

Personally, I knew a chunk of high-level stuff from reading about how games do something and had written a couple of ray tracers as university work, then when the part of my course actually concerning OpenGL came up, I got started with that, then rapidly started meddling and adding to the very basic stuff I'd been taught in an attempt to do all the stuff I knew could be done (for example accurate rendering of a mesh from a Skyrim mod with a bunch of effects). A few weeks ago, I started some (admittedly extremely out of date) OSG tutorials just to get the vague gist of working with OSG and scene graphs in general, as I'd never really done any object-oriented graphics before. I'm hoping the prior background knowledge will help to counteract the negative effects of using such outdated tutorials, and where sensible, my code diverges from the tutorials if a more modern method exists.

Hopefully sharing my experience as someone who intends to work on that part of OpenMW will help you out, but until I've actually had pull requests accepted on graphics-related parts of the code, I can't give you any definitive advice. For all I know, the actual usage of OSG is incredibly complex and Scrawl is a savant who can understand things us mere mortals have no chance of ever comprehending. Maybe he'd like to weigh in here.
mattwla

Re: Looking to understand how to work with OSG in OpenMW, would this tutorial help?

Post by mattwla »

Thanks for the input, sounds like openGL might be worth my time!