Shadows

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Dyskos

Re: Shadows

Post by Dyskos »

Yeah, he's acting real smug about it, too.

His opinion (essentially a claim with no scientific basis) is arbitrarily founded. I've never seen any forum fall into chaos due to the use of pseudonyms, and nonetheless, he claims that "it exists for a reason, to encourage users to relate to each others a human beings". I think he's forgotten, we're on the Internet? Even so, names are arbitrary in nature. Content indicates quality of character, and there's literally nothing I could predict from a name like robertosfield compared to AON3, or raevol. In fact, my real name is Christian. What does that bring to mind? Religion? A "good" kid that follows the rules? Well, SURPRISE, I'm actually a Satanist, with rebellion in my heart, and I will always believe that Science and Reality is more important that Myths and Dogma. People really get a kick out of the irony of my name.

raevol wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 07:34We wouldn't tolerate that in our community.
I think raevol said it best; we wouldn't tolerate that in our community, and yet, he acts as though there is a higher standard of conduct there because of it.

Forgive my rant. It is what it is. Naturally, I question authority and all reasoning behind it, but y'all should be focused on the more important matters, and I may have distracted everyone from the original topic at hand. I shall retreat into the comfort of my shadows once again. I wish I could offer anything, but these days, I know more about human languages, than I do about programming ones. Good luck y'all, OpenMW has been a dream come true in the Open Source community, and I can't wait to see what's in store for 0.43! :D

lysol wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 17:30Just post this video in that thread and then ask your follow-up questions.
P.S. This video is hilarious! I even watched his video, "How to be an Atheist", and I have to say, sometimes you just have to learn to laugh at yourself. :lol:
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I think that in this case it's smarter to drop the name argument (even if you are right).
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

It is a professional mailing list that is the heart of the matter. Whatever, we either deal with it or leave it alone. Their ball.

Let's face it, we're just a bunch of hobbyist here... at least until someone starts making money off OpenMW as an engine at least. ;)
werdanith

Post by werdanith »

Given the above exchange and in the spirit of malicious compliance, I would be inclined to write my forum name in Greek characters, or alternatively with the IPA since the latinised version of my name is guaranteed to be pronounced wrongly and therefore wouldn't be my "Real Name"™.

On the topic, great work on the shadows everyone. :)
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

Wingdings and MS Mincho FTW.
When (or if) AnyOldName3's shadows get ready for implementation, how much of a performance hit should we expect?
Youth

Post by Youth »

I'm a regular on Great House Fliggerty's forums. One time, I made a topic about "Modern Modding" and how I thought the quality of mods and expectations has declined over the years (in Skyrim/Oblivion). I cited a specific mod, thinking no way would the author (who was on the Nexus) ever see it complaining about how highly rated it is despite the fact that it just spawn enemies in your face or directly behind you all over the place. Somehow, he found the topic and made an account to reply about how offended he was.

I see no reason to piss off the project leader of some tech OpenMW uses, regardless of who is in the right. He seems like a typical computer science person, a certain degree of arrogance is not only expected - it's a reason their software is so successful.

Perhaps just mention that it was a nick you came up with when you were 12yr old and haven't changed it to avoid confusion with your alias, and move the discussion along. Anyways, just my two cents.

The Shadows look amazing. While I am concerned about performance, I believe shadows, lighting, etc. make up the bulk of what makes modern graphics look so damn good. Take Fallout for example. It doesn't have the best meshes or textures, but IMO it's graphics are incredible - it's all due to the lighting. Improving Morrowind's lighting and shadows will have a stronger visual impact than all the texture/mesh replaces in MGSO. I think this is one of the most important projects in OpenMW.
Arakhor

Post by Arakhor »

It's a professional mailing list using people's real names and they encode the passwords in cleartext? If you're going to be that much of a dick about using one's real name, maybe you should put that effort into looking after your users' data instead. :roll:
lysol

Post by lysol »

Youth wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 17:10 I see no reason to piss off the project leader of some tech OpenMW uses, regardless of who is in the right. He seems like a typical computer science person, a certain degree of arrogance is not only expected - it's a reason their software is so successful.

Perhaps just mention that it was a nick you came up with when you were 12yr old and haven't changed it to avoid confusion with your alias, and move the discussion along. Anyways, just my two cents.
Agreed. While I have stated my opinion to express my support for AON3, starting a flame war leads nowhere. Rather, it might even hurt the project.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Arakhor wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 18:01 It's a professional mailing list using people's real names and they encode the passwords in cleartext? If you're going to be that much of a dick about using one's real name, maybe you should put that effort into looking after your users' data instead. :roll:
Well obviously if your interactions with the forum are to be associated with you as a person instead of an online version that you can make arbitrarily distant depending on how comfortable you feel about the idea, it needs to be set up such that anyone can impersonate you as easily as possible so that you have plausible deniability in case a few posts appear under your name which are anti-semitic/racist/supportive of the Murdoch press.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Back to some actual shadow stuff:

Despite Scrawl's warnings that something with it was broken, I turned on the debugging for the shadow stuff and learned some useful things. It seems that a lot of the missing shadows are because of miscalculation of the shadow camera's viewing frustum, so I need to look into why that's happening.

My long-term solution to everything once I've developed specific fixes to all of the problems I can find will probably be to subclass osgShadow::LightSpacePerspectiveShadowMapDB as part of OpenMW and then override any methods that OSG's implementation of is broken. That way, I should be able to leave most things that already work, and copy-and-paste the bits of other functions which nearly work but need tweaks. We also shouldn't have to bump the required OSG version, maintaining compatibility with more things.