Shadows

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
psychotrip

Re: Shadows

Post by psychotrip »

Hey everyone! I’ve been skimming this thread for a while but couldn’t quite get a grasp on what’s happening. What’s the current status of shadows in OpenMW? Is there any way to activate them in the current build?
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

They're not quite ready to be merged yet, but you can actually get them from here: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1547

It's not impossible for them to be done in the next couple of weeks, but it might end up taking longer.
psychotrip

Post by psychotrip »

Thanks! I'm looking at the page you linked now. It's a little overwhelming. Not sure what exactly I'm supposed to do to activate the shadows but I'll figure it out. Thank you guys for the great work!
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You need to download the source, use that particular feature branch that is being worked on, compile it from scratch. You can cheat if you use windows and use one of the build artifacts from appveyor.

It's not yet merged into master and thus also _not_ in nightlies.
CMAugust

Post by CMAugust »

AnyOldName3: Staring at certain vfx setpieces such as the the Blight vortex (copious smoke effects) at Dagoth Ur has a severe performance impact in Shadow branch, in case it wasn't known.

And thanks again for your work, it's a thrill to follow the ongoing progress.
psychotrip

Post by psychotrip »

psi29a wrote: 22 Aug 2018, 07:18 You need to download the source, use that particular feature branch that is being worked on, compile it from scratch. You can cheat if you use windows and use one of the build artifacts from appveyor.

It's not yet merged into master and thus also _not_ in nightlies.
I have no idea what any of this means. :lol:

I think I'll just wait until it's something I can easily download. Thank you guys so much for your work!
lysol

Post by lysol »

After my adventure with the (failed) eGPU thing, I just installed my RX569 via a riser cable outside the case (I also changed my passive 160W PSU to a passive 240W one).

I launched Metro 2033 just to see if it worked. It does. Yay. Then I launched OpenMW...

For some reason, I no longer have any angles where shadows start looking blurry (wtf, but hey great), but instead I suddenly have 10 fps. Versus 25 with integrated intel graphics. Haha. I guess it's some kind of driver issue, so I'll research it a bit. But the shadows look super high res from every angle.

And also, I haven't updated to the latest shadows branch in quite some time now.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Just to check the obvious stuff, you've definitely got your monitor plugged into your GPU rather than the motherboard? Copying the completed frame from the GPU to the integrated one can cause a big framerate hit.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Monitor is plugged into the graphics card yes.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

And you're definitely comparing the same build of shadowy OpenMW with the same settings?