Shadows

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Ravenwing

Re: Shadows

Post by Ravenwing »

To care that much about online names is absurdly petty and *gasp* a bit childish! It must be shocking that people do things online outside of a strictly professional capacity.

But yes thanks for your work on all this!
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

lysol wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 14:43
AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 12:49 If it was free to register a company and trademark, I could create AnyOldName3 ltd. and then say that I'm creating stuff as that company.
Patreon, GO!
Fine, then. https://www.patreon.com/AnyOldName3
lysol

Post by lysol »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 23:20
lysol wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 14:43
AnyOldName3 wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 12:49 If it was free to register a company and trademark, I could create AnyOldName3 ltd. and then say that I'm creating stuff as that company.
Patreon, GO!
Fine, then. https://www.patreon.com/AnyOldName3
Finally. Now shut up and take my money.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 23:20 Fine, then. https://www.patreon.com/AnyOldName3
"A tier - It says I have to have tiers. Five is a good number, so I picked that."

Nothing if not transparent about your choices.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

The GPL lets me keep the source and binaries Patreon-only as long as I want, but that's not something I want to do, and it doesn't stop a Patreon person immediately sharing everything with the public anyway, so it makes no difference to anything. If AppVeyor didn't produce usable builds, I could offer precompiled Windows binaries to Patreons, but that's still effort being directed away from actually creating shadows. Therefore, there's no sensible tier reward system.
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

No I get it. I just found it funny. "Whelp, have to fill in something... pffff... FIVE!"
ajira2

Post by ajira2 »

I appreciate the work that is being done in shadows and in OpenMW in general and I want to see shadows as soon as anyone else but.. this?

A patreon just for AnyOldName3? I appreciate your work but this seems dividing the community and born of an internal conflict. Me as final user of OpenMW feel confused, long time ago I asked about donating in patreon for OpenMW and I want to, but they answered me there were no plans on doing this, and doing this on just one member seems unfair.

Scrawl and many others contributed greatly to the project and I want to support him and AnyOldName3 and everyone else in the team, not just one member.

Please stop arguing and reconciliate for the good of the project. This is nonsensical and hurting the project, please don't do it.

My best wishes.
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

ajira2 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:53 A patreon just for AnyOldName3? I appreciate your work but this seems dividing the community and born of an internal conflict. Me as final user of OpenMW feel confused, long time ago I asked about donating in patreon for OpenMW and I want to, but they answered me there were no plans on doing this, and doing this on just one member seems unfair.
Scrawl has Patreon few years ago and no one complain about it.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Supporting individuals is safer for OpenMW since OpenMW is an FOSS project, we don't want generate trust issues and have to deal with money in anyway. Not with the fine line we are supposed to tread when having to deal with someone else's copyright work (IP)? It's also why we keep enforcing that OpenMW is a Morrowind like open-world RPG engine capable of playing Morrowind. We don't want to have to deal with lawyers and all the drama that can cause and we've done pretty well avoiding that so far.

If you would like to donate money, please support individual developers or 3rd-party software that we use like OSG and OpenAL-Soft. Since this benefits not only OpenMW but all of FOSS in general.
lysol

Post by lysol »

ajira2 wrote: 13 Aug 2018, 12:53 Please stop arguing and reconciliate for the good of the project. This is nonsensical and hurting the project, please don't do it.
There is no argument. Anyone can set up a patreon as they wish.

The discussion when scrawl put up his patreon (or rather, his paypal, which was what he began with), if I remember everything correctly, was that it's more of a legal grey area if OpenMW as a project accepts donations, but much less controversial if scrawl as a developer took donations to work on open source projects (the main one being OpenMW obviously). Scrawl asked everyone before setting his donation button up if the other devs were ok with him taking donations. No one had any objections.

EDIT: What psi said, basically.