Shadows

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
AnyOldName3

Re: Shadows

Post by AnyOldName3 »

There are a couple more commits on GitHub that may eliminate a gazillion problems for people.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Woohoo! Will try to build and test it out tonight.
magamo

Post by magamo »

This branch may still have some issues, but I think I just fell deeply in love with Morrowind's scenery all over again tonight. Walking west from Seyda Neen to Hla Oad at sunset, the sun low over the Velothi mountains (From Tamriel Rebuilt) in the distance. As the light of the setting sun streamed through the trees, the shadows reached around me. It felt so right, so alive. It was awesome.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You know... I'm happy with the idea of having this in Master, merged. It doesn't have to be perfect, but we can test... and create bugs for anything that is breaking and work on those things.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's definitely not ready to be merged just yet. I'm already aware of several issues and am actively working to resolve them, but I'm still in the stages of throwing a bunch of different experimental fixes at it. If I have to go through the process of submitting a PR for each one, then it'll really slow me down. There are also some hacky bits of code I'd like to tidy up and the shadows in interior cells and at night are not sane at all. Finally, settings aren't currently user-configurable, and there are quite a few instances of arbitrary constants being used just because they work well on my specific setup.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Please do what's good for your workflow @AnyOldName3 , but also please pull early and pull often! Would be a shame to lose any code you're working on because it never got pulled. Thank you so much for working on this! It's so exciting!
imec

Post by imec »

Big step forward. From about 2-3 hours of testing, it seems like the only major issues left are weird drops in resolution at certain angles and distant land stretching the resolution beyond its capabilities. Just night and day in regards to visual stability. Great work and thank you for all the time and effort you've put into this project.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I've added a bunch of stuff today, including adding settings. If you want to do testing now, I recommend that you look through settings-default.cfg for an explanation of what each does before adding them to your user settings.cfg.

I now have to add the same documentation to the readthedocs documentation but haven't looked into how to do that. If it turns out that someone else, such as psi29a, has made a PR doing it for me when I come back to this tomorrow, it may save me some time. Otherwise, I'll figure it out myself.
raevol

Post by raevol »

I've been following the PR on github, keep up the great work!
Br0ken

Post by Br0ken »

Any chances to see that magic in 0.44.0?