OpenMW Launcher

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: OpenMW Launcher

Post by psi29a »

Weird, in latest pull from 0.13 master on Wed Mar 7 09:20:29 2012 +0100 I started getting the libpng issues too.

built and run on Ubuntu 11.10:
brick@zwartevogel:/$ omwlauncher
libpng warning: Application built with libpng-1.2.46 but running with 1.5.4
So I see only see the one icon and the rest does not show up.

However, built and run on Ubuntu 12.04 (precise) everything works perfectly. This is the first time I've seen the libpng issue and thought it was just a 32bit problem and now see it as well in 64bit.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Greendogo wrote:Also, pvdk, I think after having some issues with the launcher I realized the black console window is supposed to be for error reporting. Maybe you should make it an option to log errors instead of removing it altogether?
True, it should log errors to the console window, but as soon as there is an error the console window closes. Instead, to see the error messages you should start the launcher from cmd, just like OpenMW.

I added a fix for this in my launcher branch. It would be great to have someone on Windows test this.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

After thinking about it, maybe saving a copy all of the console contents to a .log file in the OpenMW directory every time it ran would be a good idea. After all, trying to copy something out of a Windows command window is a pain in the ass.

Could be helpful in debugging stuff later.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Well, we are mostly a Linux shop here. We have a few Windows developers, but they are a minority.

For playing OpenMW Windows need to be fully supported, obviously. But for debugging and development I think a few minor annoyances on Windows are acceptable.

I am not opposed to the idea of a proper logging system, but I see that as a very low priority task.

If you find fiddling around with the Windows console too annoying, you could also redirect the output streams into files. This can be done without touching the source.
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Zini wrote:If you find fiddling around with the Windows console too annoying, you could also redirect the output streams into files. This can be done without touching the source.
Actually, I don't, personally, I just think lazy people might not know that you can select and copy text from a windows console. Microsoft didn't make the command prompts very user friendly, and it's a shame.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

So we nailed down the problem to freeimage being compiled to with the 'latest' libpng which is causing us problems like this:
libpng warning: Application built with libpng-1.2.46 but running with 1.5.4
I think the best approach at this point is to say 'screw it' to libpng/libgif/etc and just use freeimage to handle all our image tasks if possible.

In the mean time I've send a message to the ogre ppa guys to get their opinion in the issue and if they could compile their freeimage with the same settings as found in Ubuntu (which makes sense as these packages are for Ubuntu). We'll see what happens.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

BrotherBrick wrote:I think the best approach at this point is to say 'screw it' to libpng/libgif/etc and just use freeimage to handle all our image tasks if possible.
That's not possible. Qt needs libpng and other image plugins and there's no way to substitute them for freeimage. However, there is a freeimage that is patched to be linkable against Qt. Don't know if that helps though.
BrotherBrick wrote: In the mean time I've send a message to the ogre ppa guys to get their opinion in the issue and if they could compile their freeimage with the same settings as found in Ubuntu (which makes sense as these packages are for Ubuntu). We'll see what happens.
Thanks, I hope they will do something about it.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

I got a reply from the Ogre PPA people:
Hi,

it's been freeimage's choice to statically link against its own version of several of the image codecs instead of linking against system versions. Far as I understand there were a lot of problems with incompatible library versions prior to using a fixed, static version, so I'm not even sure if freeimage (easily) supports a different setup. Also, our PPA is currently without an active maintainer, so there will not be any updates in the near future.

You could try to change the order in which your project links against its libraries. This might help with the problems, but if not you'll probably have to build your own Ogre version against your own version of the support libs.

Regards,
Holger
It would seem that ogreppa is no longer maintained and is no longer viable. My own 'solution' was to prevent freeimage from being installed from their PPA and only use the one provided by Ubuntu.