OpenMW Launcher

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: OpenMW Launcher

Post by Zini »

Definitely not by default. Maybe as an option, but that would further complicate the UI. I would prefer if we leave the launcher as it is for now. As I said before we will have to rethink some of the concepts post 1.0. This includes the launcher and maybe even the esm/esp distinction.

We could continue polishing the launcher for another 6-12 months, but IMHO instead the focus should shift to the editor soon. We can continue with polishing when we are done with the post-1.0 changes to the whole launcher/esm/esp concept.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

I can't argue with that.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Maybe we could implement a warning when the data= entries specified in the config files are invalid or if there are no data entries present. The warning would then include a button to launch a file dialog and specify the data location manually. Now the launcher crashes with a boost::filesystem3::filesystem_error. Not that much work and more user-friendly.

Also, the style sheet location needs to be changed. Now it needs to be located in the working directory of the launcher. This is of course sub-optimal as config files should not be placed in the /bin folder.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Maybe we could implement a warning when the data= entries specified in the config files are invalid or if there are no data entries present. The warning would then include a button to launch a file dialog and specify the data location manually. Now the launcher crashes with a boost::filesystem3::filesystem_error. Not that much work and more user-friendly.
My first thought was that the launcher should not be used to fix a broken installation, but a less technical error message would be fine.

But then I started thinking again. What exactly is an invalid data entry? A data directory without any ESM/Ps is perfectly valid and the launcher should not choke on it (we will have some of these in 0.12.0).

Having an install without any ESM/Ps is valid too (fresh install on a box with no MW preinstalled). That might happen in practise for a truly total conversion that does not use any of the original MW material. In this case the launcher should not crash either. Just show an empty ESM/P list and an inactive start button? (the player might still want to adjust some other settings before he adds ESM/Ps).

And if we continue this, having no data path is no different from having data paths with no ESM/Ps in them, so that should not be an error situation either.

Maybe we should stop treating no ESM/P and no data path as a special case and just do business as usual.
Also, the style sheet location needs to be changed. Now it needs to be located in the working directory of the launcher. This is of course sub-optimal as config files should not be placed in the /bin folder.
Okay ... Goes into 0.12.0 please.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

There is currently no error if the data directory is empty, there won't be any ESMs/ESPs in the Data Files tab.

An error occurs when a data= entry specifies a directory which does not exists. The Files::Collections crashes when there's a data directory passed on to it which isn't there, a boost::filesystem error is the result. The launcher could check beforehand if the path specified by the data entry is valid before invoking the Files::Collections. An error would be given if none of the data= entries are valid.
Zini

Post by Zini »

The Files::Collections crashes when there's a data directory passed on to it which isn't there, a boost::filesystem error is the result.
That we definitely need to fix, because the case of a non-existent data directory is guaranteed to happen with the new config system for 0.12.0 on a fresh install. And it must be fixed in the component and not in the launcher, because else we have to replicate this fix in OpenMW.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

True. Actually, I was convinced some kind of checking would be present in the component so I never bothered to check it inside the launcher.

Won't add it then because it adds complexity to the config reading/writing.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

About the stylesheet: where should it be located? Only in the user location or also in the local? Global seems overkill to me.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Not entirely sure. Currently we are not putting any files into the user location during the installation. Might be best to stick with that. A assume the stylesheet is not optional? tI needs to be there? If so, would it be possible to have a default stylesheet in global and use the user one instead, if it is there?

btw. It seems you are stilling basing your work on the master branch, which means you are not using the improved config system (in next). Since your changes won't go into master, there is no reason not to use next instead.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

The stylesheet is optional. I will look in Global too then. And indeed, forgot to move on to next.