[Repro Known] Extreme NPC Lag

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
nox7

[Repro Known] Extreme NPC Lag

Post by nox7 »

This isn't specific to Tamriel Rebuilt, mind you.

As I was Tamriel Rebuilt, I went into Port Telvannis and Old Ebonheart only to find a lag fest. Framerate dropping to 1-2FPS. What gives? This is a beautiful recreation of the vanilla game.

So I open up vanilla Morrowind and go to the same locations. No lag. I opened up the performance graphs and found that the Physics was literally off the charts. Eventually, I disabled all the slave NPCs in the little slave pods and the lag was gone and physics was back to normal.

I've noticed the NPCs seem to have lag spikes when... trapped? I suppose. The Hlaalu Councilor at Omeni manor has a Hlaalu Sharpshooter atop her house. Before the recent 0.41.0 update, he would lag crazily if you startled him, as he seemingly couldn't get to you.

So, would anyone happen to know where I can find the code for NPCs that don't seem to move like the slaves; or does anyone have ideas related to this?
Last edited by nox7 on 03 May 2018, 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
DestinedToDie

Re: [Repro Known] Extreme NPC Lag

Post by DestinedToDie »

Hi Nox. Would love to see a solution to this problem. Here's a revelant thread. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3696&hilit=sadrith+mora

The issue is, I understand, with how OpenMW utilizes Bullet physics. It is likely integrated into OpenMW in a perfomance heavy way and could probably be greatly improved.

There is also this thread. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3968&hilit=collision Where some developers chip in and we get a slight improvement in physics.
MiroslavR

Post by MiroslavR »

There's also a PR in the works that improves the performance of colliding with complex meshes considerably: https://github.com/OpenMW/openmw/pull/1158
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

Question related to bug/development. Moved post.