Mouse Smoothing?

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
raevol

Mouse Smoothing?

Post by raevol »

The recent physics jitter issue discussion got me wondering, is mouse smoothing something we could implement/support in OpenMW? Is it something that is even needed or wanted? Do we already support it and I just have no idea? I really know nothing about it, but I wanted to toss it out there as an idea of something we could support someday, if it's worthwhile at all to pursue...
aesylwinn

Re: Mouse Smoothing?

Post by aesylwinn »

One of the problems with smoothing input is that it will reduce responsiveness. That said, if you use an extremely inaccurate mouse, you probably won't notice it. Also, an option could be added to turn it off or on.

Implementing a mechanism to smooth mouse input would not be very difficult. Off the top of my head, I believe the Unity engine does this (or did). I believe they simulate a joystick axis. Whether or not it gets implemented probably depends on how many people want it. :lol:
wareya

Post by wareya »

All (modern) mice run at at least 125hz, and if they don't, they're beyond saving. Mouse smoothing is just bad and more bad. The only reason to ever smooth mouse movement data is for improving the consistency of mouse acceleration, and even there, you must only do the smoothing on the data used to calculate the amount to multiply the unsmoothed movement by.
raevol

Post by raevol »

Alright, maybe I just need a new mouse. :) I have a Logitech M100 but I don't see the hz listed anywhere on specifications...
aesylwinn

Post by aesylwinn »

If you want to reduce the jerkiness, you might try scaling down the camera sensitivity option. A new mouse probably isn't going to solve the problem.

On a side note, I happen to own an M100 myself, though I only use it with my laptop. :lol:
raevol

Post by raevol »

I think there was something else going on when I was specifically doing a quick run to check for this post, because it seems smoother now. Or maybe I was just tripping. Ah well.
wareya

Post by wareya »

I get mouse jerkiness in FPSs if I leave steam, firefox, or libreoffice too long, because they all have performance leaks and end up hitching whatever game I'm playing. Mouse smoothing is for bad jitter, like if you're using a cheapo laser mouse on an uneven surface. But these days, such mice have smoothing built in.
differenceclouds

Post by differenceclouds »

Bump for pleb mouse smoothing option ;) . You really don't need insane accuracy in this game... The look movement always seems jerky to me, and even locked to some kind of low res invisible grid. Anyone else notice this? I'm on mac btw... I would much prefer a smoother, more cinematic interpolated mouse movement.
Lagahan

Post by Lagahan »

I usually use as low as possible in-game sensitivity and higher DPI to counteract the "cogging" feeling from the input.
eg: 0.4 ingame and 3200MHz in CS:GO - makes a noticeable difference in persistence of vision clarity at 240hz vs the 1.2 @ 800DPI I used to use.
High in-game sens is similar to the effect seen here: https://www.testufo.com/persistence though its also tied to framerate of course.
When you get framerate up and consistent (235 capped to stay in G-Sync for me), have G-Sync or Freesync and a good mouse @1000Hz and low ingame sens the input smoothness is even better than the timewarped 90Hz on my Vive IMO.

TLDR;
It would be a nice setting to have for people who cant use higher DPIs either by mouse limits or acceleration problems from bad sensors.