Make new game athletics weirdness

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
DestinedToDie

Make new game athletics weirdness

Post by DestinedToDie »

So I made a new game with OpenMW-CS. Made Object: player, used psi29a's cc by scripts. Now here´s the problem. When I run the game and start swimming in the water, my character freezes at the point where he would get a levelup in athletics skill. If you continue pressing WASD, the athletics skill % keeps going up and you keep getting points to level up, yet no message appears.

So I made a blank .esp file. It has no GMST-s whatsoever. But for some reason contains something that fixes the above problem. Of course I don´t want to use a file produced by Bethesda´s tool. When I look around in it via OpenMW-CS I can´t find anything associated to the athletics levelup not popping up when using OpenMW-only tools.

Download to files: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 2106409776

Instructions to replicate: Have Morrowind installed as usual - I haven´t moved to a different Morrowindfree folder yet. Run the game using MyTemplate as master, runningscripts and Objectplayer as addons. Try moving forward. Check your athletics skill after you´ve frozen. Also check your console for extra information (too many args in framelistener) Now run the game with MyTemplate as master, runningscripts and objectplayer as plugins and TestEsp as last. You´ll see that for whatever reason the game does not freeze.

Compare MyTemplate without and with TestEsp via OpenMW-CS. There seems to be nothing related to the crash. You can also compare in notepad to find out there´s actually a bunch of stuff in the esp file.

Now the reason I´m asking about this is that I have filled the GMST-s in a separate file, yet I still get the same freeze with that as with blank GMST-s. I can´t get it to work without including Bethesda software.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Make new game athletics weirdness

Post by psi29a »

Not sure what is up here, but the OpenMW-Template project has _never_ been touched by CS, it was created purely by OpenMW-CS.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Yeah, I checked your template and it has the same sMake inconsistency as in herehttps://forum.openmw.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3286 , meaning that no esp files were involved and you can´t change the ID of a GMST.

I´m just scratching my head here wondering if it´s because I of a string I named differently or something I´m missing, seeing as an esp file that loads without any strings written in GMST-s does not have this problem.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

I´m copypasting all the GMST strings as they are in Morrowind right now. Maybe this will fix it, maybe not. I thought I didn´t rename any important strings in my initial attempt. We really need dehardcoding if they are so delicate that changing them around a bit results in strange behavior.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Well, looks like one of my guesses was right and it was an oversensitive string.

ID sNotifyMessage 39 VALUE Your %s skill increased to %d.

If you touch the value and change it to something like "Hello. You just leveled your skill up." the game doesn´t play this message and decides to freeze all of your movement. A missing string also causes the freeze. The esp file must have contained a valid string so it worked despite string appearing to be missing in OpenMW-CS, but hidden in file information.