[patch] new fog shader

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
darkbasic

Re: [patch] new fog shader

Post by darkbasic »

Wow, it looks good. Is it going to be mainlined?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Any news? :)
Kanevc

Post by Kanevc »

How do i install the water shader patch?
Im on linux (Solus)

Running OpenMW 0.39
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Kanevc wrote:How do i install the water shader patch?
Im on linux (Solus)

Running OpenMW 0.39
Currently you need to compile OpenMW with patch in the original post.
Kanevc

Post by Kanevc »

can someone build a version with water shader fix and the newest fog for linux 64
because cmake is asking for a lot of dependencies that arent in solus because its new
Kanevc

Post by Kanevc »

pls
magamo

Post by magamo »

Sadly, it appears as though the current OSG patch posted here has bitrotted a bit.

I had to hack it into a compilable state after some normal map pass changes, and the new results are... Interesting. :shock:
With the patch enabled
With the patch enabled
It appears to break the new normal/parallax code (You can see now that my vanilla road texture appears to be overriding the diffusemap texture from Uradumus on the road in front of me) It also appears to break all the vertex shading, and does not add in the fog as promised.

Here's a reference picture from a recent git build without the patch:
With the patch disabled
With the patch disabled
magamo

Post by magamo »

I've more properly forward ported this now. In my version, there's a few bugs, many of which I can see were in Visvaldas's version as well, so it's not all errors in my porting process. :-)

It affects the minimap highly, to the point that the minimap, and the local map are mostly unusable.

The fog start range seems to be far too close, and as a consequence, the shader currently looks horrible when at even slight elevations (Like at the top of one of Balmora's guard towers), and it washes out the terrain quite a bit.

The fog is not applied to actors or activators, making doors, crates, people and silt striders for example pop out through the fog very oddly. It also is not getting applied consistently to all parts of terrain and some other statics.

I myself am a bit out of my depth, and I've gone back and forth as to whether or not to release this, but in the end, I'd rather see the work continue as the potential is vast for this.
Attachments
fog-shader-osg-20160725.patch
This still needs the water patch on page 3.
(12.05 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
New shot of the fog shader
New shot of the fog shader
Reference shot of the same scene
Reference shot of the same scene
damiel

Post by damiel »

I played around a little with your updated version of the fog shader and i am seeing some issues with it so far but cant tell if they were already present with the original patch set.

1. First being that the PC's figure in the inventory is shaded like the buildings in the screenshot from your last post.

2. Second being that it seems some interior have now fog aswell and i am quite sure some of these interiors are not meant to be filled with smoke like a biker bar. (In some cases the interior have some sort of fog layer that reaches up to NPC heads.)

Anyways i will be keep hacking on this as it looks really interesting. :)
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

damiel wrote: 2. Second being that it seems some interior have now fog aswell and i am quite sure some of these interiors are not meant to be filled with smoke like a biker bar. (In some cases the interior have some sort of fog layer that reaches up to NPC heads.)
hope that we can add this in intentionally in mods...

ST the foggy