.ess Importer

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
AlphaMode2

Re: .ess Importer

Post by AlphaMode2 »

Just wondering what this means?

Code: Select all

$ ./openmw* ~/Desktop/GenSave000A.ess -o ~/desktop/save.omw
unknown record REGN (0x13a80)
unknown record CONT (0x2c240)
Error: ESM Error: Previous record contains unread bytes
  File: ~/Desktop/GenSave000A.ess
  Record: 
  Subrecord: CNDT
  Offset: 0xfe1fc
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

That means the file contains something unexpected, and you should send it to me for inspection.
sjek

Post by sjek »

There's something in the region ID. (Regn)
For the cont it seems like subrecord to hold data.

"CELL.RGNN.RegionID = REGN
CELL.NAME_NEXT.ID = NPC_,STAT,BOOK,MISC,LIGH,CONT,DOOR,ACTI,WEAP,SOUN,CREA,ARMO,LEVC,LEVI,INGR,CREC,NPCC,CNTC"

"[CONT.CNDT]
@Requirement = 2
Weight = Single, 4"

The 0x..... are hex numbers / keys.

You can look the data with enchanted editor or tespcd althought they can be a little mess. Basically it's changing something specific and finding what info that cndt holds exactly : )

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Tes3Mod:File_Format
https://github.com/Yacoby/Wrye-Mash/blo ... mplate.ini
robcbwilson

Post by robcbwilson »

I have attached a variety of saves from my Morrowind game. I use Windows 7, hopefully these are useful :)
Attachments
Saves.rar
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 376 times
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

Global map import:
globalmap.png
There's a few minor problems here, most of which can't be avoided...
  • In MW the markers are actually baked into the overlay image, rather than being widgets on top like in OpenMW. I had to get the image lined up perfectly with the widget markers, otherwise you'd see each marker twice. This kinda limits what we can do with zoom options or a show/hide markers option, but at least the default works fine.
  • You can notice seams on the base layer in a few places, this is where the MW map collides with the OpenMW map. They don't look exactly the same, we don't have the 100% correct colour palette, nor do we have the correct function for a colour value given a height. This part of OpenMW was basically written from guesswork.
  • The OpenMW rendered map is more detailed (2x the resolution). See the area next to the player arrow. This is the one part we could actually fix.
Overall though, not too bad. The overlay does its job, and visiting parts of the map will make OpenMW render them. So after a while, the problem fixes itself.
AlphaMode2

Post by AlphaMode2 »

Has there been any more work on this? This is one of the features that I would like the most.
Helv

Post by Helv »

scrawl wrote:There's a few minor problems here, most of which can't be avoided...
  • In MW the markers are actually baked into the overlay image, rather than being widgets on top like in OpenMW. I had to get the image lined up perfectly with the widget markers, otherwise you'd see each marker twice. This kinda limits what we can do with zoom options or a show/hide markers option, but at least the default works fine.
I don't understand how that works, but couldn't OpenMW use another createmap than the vanilla one? Thus you could have a way bigger resolution...
destroyfx

Post by destroyfx »

Here some save that I can't import.

quiksave:

Error: ESM Error: Unknown subrecord
  File: /.. .. ../quiksave.ess
  Record: CREA
  Subrecord: INDX
  Offset: 0x197cf
SaveGame0000:

Error: ESM Error: Previous record contains unread bytes
  File: /.. .. ../SaveGame0000.ess
  Record: 
  Subrecord: CNDT
  Offset: 0x3417e
autosave:

Error: ESM Error: Unknown subrecord
  File: /.. .. ../autosave.ess
  Record: CREA
  Subrecord: INDX
  Offset: 0x197fb
Attachments
saves.tar.bz2
Savesgames
(677.54 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
Bene81

Post by Bene81 »

Hello,

I am also having the error with the unknown INDX subrecord for CREA records.
Luckily I was able to have a look at those and found out that they are only containing a four byte integer (?) which is mostly one. So I assumed it would be the default value for whatever.
Therefore I just modified a copy of the ess importer to simply skip those records without halting the importer process leading to conversion success.

But now it seems that I am having a lot of blights that I did not have before saving (can't say I was never ever having them) and am therefore encumbered and when I teleport back to Molag Mar using my ring of Almvisi Intervention almost everybody I find there ist laying dead on the ground.

I was using an English version of Morrowind that came with an ASUS motherboard. Version V1.2.0.722, so latest patch of Morrowind.

So, well, now I am kind of affected to digging into the save file format and as I see you already did an awesome job with the ess importer. I'd kind of like it to have a "to ascii text dump" for the record format, that would print the structure of known records and hex values for unknown parts of unknown or just partially known records.

So, would you see this as a beneficial feature for the ess importer or do you know a tool that does this already?
Also I found the Tes3cmd tool (https://code.google.com/p/mlox/wiki/Tes3cmd) of the mlox project, which could be, what I am looking for. Although I have not yet given it a shot.

Would you mind if I familiarize with the ess importer a little and attach an experimental "dump to readable" feature?

By the way, attached are my save games, maybe they are beneficial.
Attachments
Bene81.zip
(8.3 MiB) Downloaded 368 times
tsl

Post by tsl »

Hello!

I'm attaching a savegame I've recorded with the game of the year edition of Morrowind on Linux through Wine.

Hope it helps...
Attachments
quiksave.tar
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 358 times