.ess Importer

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
braithwa

Re: .ess Importer

Post by braithwa »

Thankyou for the response. It is good to see someone is there.

In the hope that the converter might work better on Windows I tried it on Windows, but obtained the exact same same results:-

Code: Select all

C:\Users\stephen\Desktop\ess>"C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.37.0\openmw-essimporter.
exe" -m joku20000.ess -o joku20000.omwsave
unknown record REGN (0x1578c)
Error: ESM Error: Unknown subrecord
  File: joku20000.ess
  Record: CREA
  Subrecord: INDX
  Offset: 0x25cc5
Have attached my .ess file. In order to avoid tampering with the uploader, I have put the .ess into a zip file encrypted with the password "fred".
Attachments
ess.zip
(753.7 KiB) Downloaded 366 times
Amenophis

Post by Amenophis »

@braithwa I think the problem isn't your save but the essimporter itself. Dead characters, empty journal, fog of war are bugs known. Later the developers will fix them but in the moment the priority is the OpenMW engine.
magicBorscht

Post by magicBorscht »

Hello there. I had imported my save through this importer, but when I loaded it I lost all notes in journal and everyone was frozen and not reacting at me, even hostile creatures.

And I had this output during the import:

unknown record REGN (0x1538f)
Creature::load: Unhandled INDX 1
unknown record SPLM (0x391769)
I'll be grateful for any help with this.
Cramal

Post by Cramal »

Amenophis wrote:Dead characters, empty journal, fog of war are bugs known. Later the developers will fix them but in the moment the priority is the OpenMW engine.
As said in the message just above your, the ess importer is far from being finished.

However its developpement is not a priority, so the bug are staying there far longer than bugs in the game and the cs
Xenuria

Post by Xenuria »

I also have an issue where NPCs die as I walk into their grid.
I imported a save using the .ess importer.

Everything works amazing except the fact that everywhere I go NPCs instantly fall to the ground and die. Any work arounds would be amazing.

It's like I made some faustian deal with a demon or devil to have morrowind that runs nice but the catch is everybody dies as I approach them.
poltergasm

Post by poltergasm »

Xenuria wrote: It's like I made some faustian deal with a demon or devil to have morrowind that runs nice but the catch is everybody dies as I approach them.
Lmao I think this happened to me. I successfully got the save file imported, and was on my way to Yakin (just northeast of Tel Aruhn), when suddenly a message saying an important NPC had died and severed the prophecy appeared. I didn't even see the NPC.

So after 5 minutes of testing this I have already found the following:

- All enemies are now passive (friendly). I was having a nice conversation with an Ash Goul in Yakin. (Game breaking)

- Some NPCs, even important ones, die randomly when you're close by (Game breaking)

- In my vanilla save I was not able to rank up in the Mages Guild because I didn't meet the requirements, but in my openmw imported save I could go right through to the quest before Arch-Mage (Game breaking)

- Journal entries are completely missing (I can live without this)

- Mark positions are not saved (Not important at all)

While the import DOES work for your map, items, character stats and all that, in its current state it's not usable because of the outstanding game breaking bugs. The guild ranks I can probably overlook, though it does seem game breaking seems it's almost like cheating your way up the ladder.
There may be more issues, and probably is because I can't imagine this is a menial task at all, but all this was just found within a few minutes.
Anyway, thanks for all your work so far, and I truly hope this tool makes it to a usable state at some point. OpenMW looks so promising from what I've seen, but I find myself sticking to Vanilla just because of the time I had put into my previous saves, which is what makes the importer tool so important.

Cheers!
DanDanson

Post by DanDanson »

I imported a save and got "Dwemer Scarab Plans", "Dwemer Scarab Schematics", "Empty Vial" and "Green Pot", each worth 13320240 and a "Grand Soul Gem (Bonelord)" worth an astonishing 1332024000. Yes, 1.3 billion. too bad I can't actually sell it for that price, haven't seen a merchant with that much money. Also some but not all NPCs seem to be so scared of me they die of a heart attack when they see me.

Guess I'll start a new game from scratch, at least I was able to have a look at my old character.
Nwah209

Post by Nwah209 »

How do I use essimporter? I have it open in a command prompt but when i type any of the allowed options it tells me its not recognized as a command.
sjek

Post by sjek »

which OS are you on .?

in windows creating shortcut with parameters after path should do the trick.
edit: + creating and running it in same folder where the save is.
as it seems from:

C:\Users\stephen\Desktop\ess>"C:\Program Files\OpenMW 0.37.0\openmw-essimporter.
exe" -m joku20000.ess -o joku20000.omwsave
ProgramGamer
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/ProgramGamer

Post by ProgramGamer »

Hello all!

I was gifted morrowind this christmas by a friend and started a save file on the steam version before finding there's a much better version of the game available here. I figured there'd be a way to load save files from the og game, but to my unfortunate surprise I found an incomplete tool with several outstanding issues.

Being a C++ programmer, is it cool if I take over the duties of maintaining this part of the project? I really want to not throw away my save even though it's only a couple of hours old, heh