Creature Animation

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
jvoisin

Re: Creature Animation

Post by jvoisin »

The ghost is amazing !
lgromanowski
Site Admin

Post by lgromanowski »

This it really cool! I can't hardly wait when all this animation stuff will be merged into master branch :D
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

The head and jaw on the ancestor ghost were not moving before because I did not have non-skinned NiTriShapes handled. With my latest commit the head moves and the jaw opens and closes.
Star-Demon

Post by Star-Demon »

Awesome stuff, man - You've banged out a lot of stuff this year. Keep it up, if you can!
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

Creature animations still look choppy (especially the AshZombie). I thought this was because we are only using the first encountered weight for each vertex, not all of them. I have been trying to incorporate all weights for each vertex but the result always is a disaster.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I haven't improved the AshZombie any, but here is a video showing the improved ancestor ghost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K36q3hs6x0

EDIT: Storm Atronach http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMvoYSqUH0Y
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

I have decided for now to focus on other animation features, I cannot figure out how to fix the choppiness (tried some vertex weight techniques from NifSkope's source but they didn't work out) bug.
sirherrbatka

Post by sirherrbatka »

That looks like a good decision.
jhooks1

Post by jhooks1 »

After doing some tests I have confirmed that if we have two of the same creature type in a cell, we need to make each creature a unique resource. This will be done the same way that we are making npcs unique, adding a 4digit number on the end. The reason is so each creature will have separate position and normal buffers, otherwise they would always look the same.
pvdk

Post by pvdk »

Isn't that what Morrowind does? When you have for example two Ancestor Ghosts in a Cell, one of them will be "ancestor_ghost00000000" and the other one "ancestor_ghost00000001"

So I think Morrowind uses 8 digits for the unique identifier, not 4. Maybe you should use 8 too because extensions like MWSE have functions like xRefID which retuns the unique identifier. In case we want to implement support for MWSE scripts past 1.0.