Android build openmw

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
wattywatts

Re: Android build openmw

Post by wattywatts »

I'm confused. Is this project cancelled? Because there have been articles posted online about it?

Man, I've been searching for a way to play Morrowind on a portable device since I first played the game all those years ago, today I see IGN posted something about this project, come here, and all the posts and files by the original author have been edited out. I'm gutted.
I guess I'll have to spend the money on a surface pro after all.
Coincidentally, can I still get a hold of the apk? I realize it may or may not work, and may be very slow, but I'd still love to try it...
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I don't pretend to be SandStranger's mouthpiece, but since he said he wouldn't post anymore, I'll clear it up.

Development of an Android port has stopped because of the amount of articles (hype), afraid that Bethesda would take action against him (because of all the articles) and lack of time. That is his decision. He no longer has the desire to continue, at least in public. He may do more development in the future, but it will not be publicly discussed by him.

All the binaries (apks/etc) were also removed by SandStranger.

What we can do is take what he has done to improve OpenMW, where we can, to be more cross-platform.

If anyone else wants to step up and continue his work, they are free to do so.

OpenMW is still committed to: Linux, OSX and Windows.

Developers/porters of Android, FreeBSD (and *BSDs in general) and others are welcome to join to help improve and expand the above list.
HitagiSenjougahara

Post by HitagiSenjougahara »

psi29a wrote:I don't pretend to be SandStranger's mouthpiece, but since he said he wouldn't post anymore, I'll clear it up.

Development of an Android port has stopped because of the amount of articles (hype), afraid that Bethesda would take action against him (because of all the articles) and lack of time. That is his decision. He no longer has the desire to continue, at least in public. He may do more development in the future, but it will not be publicly discussed by him.

All the binaries (apks/etc) were also removed by SandStranger.

What we can do is take what he has done to improve OpenMW, where we can, to be more cross-platform.

If anyone else wants to step up and continue his work, they are free to do so.

OpenMW is still committed to: Linux, OSX and Windows.

Developers/porters of Android, FreeBSD (and *BSDs in general) and others are welcome to join to help improve and expand the above list.
In Soviet Russia, developers who do not care 4 porting the game creator. Only if they are not going to take money for the port.To be honest, I want too .apk
Kraelorn

Post by Kraelorn »

Anyway why just dont stream Morrowind from pc to android if you really need it that much? I've played it with Kainy. Runs excellently. Just the game is developed for keyboard and mouse, not touch controls. So port for android will be absolutely useless and a waste of time.
ElderTroll

Post by ElderTroll »

Kraelorn wrote: the game is developed for keyboard and mouse, not touch controls. So port for android will be absolutely useless and a waste of time.
I don't understand this reasoning. Can't you use a wireless keyboard and mouse on android? What about android tv, fire tv, nvidia shield, or the half dozen other android based micro consoles that have physical controllers? Android is no longer just tablets and phones with touch only controls. OpenMW on android makes sense in the long term.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

The big advantage of an open-source port is that things can be changed. While the original Morrowind was clearly meant for keyboard & mouse someone could properly adapt the interface for touch-controls. Of course it won't be ideal, but it only needs to be good enough. After all, Morrowind is not an action game, combat is pretty much just click and release while the computer rolls dice.
Demorde

Post by Demorde »

OpenMW is released under GNU GPLv3, by the terms of the license he is required to release the source for all his modifications since he released a binary.
Eli2

Post by Eli2 »

Demorde wrote:OpenMW is released under GNU GPLv3, by the terms of the license he is required to release the source for all his modifications since he released a binary.
Do you really think anyone on the team would enforce this?

Maybe this thread should be closed.
Ace (SWE)

Post by Ace (SWE) »

To be fair, he seems to have documented his code changes on the wiki (https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Android_build). So he's not broken GPLv3 in any way that I'm aware of.
Demorde

Post by Demorde »

Eli2 wrote:
Demorde wrote:OpenMW is released under GNU GPLv3, by the terms of the license he is required to release the source for all his modifications since he released a binary.
Do you really think anyone on the team would enforce this?

Maybe this thread should be closed.
If you're going to use a license, it needs to be enforced - else it has no meaning.
Ace (SWE) wrote:To be fair, he seems to have documented his code changes on the wiki (https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Android_build). So he's not broken GPLv3 in any way that I'm aware of.
According to the license they specify that the source code must be released in full, showing snippets and a 'guide' to it does not constitute a source release.