0.19 bugs

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.
Zini

Re: 0.19 bugs

Post by Zini »

I can confirm #1 and #5 and have added issues to the tracker for them.

2. I did not notice a difference. But I guess one could try to messure the distance, to see if adjustments are needed. AFAIK the maximum activation distance is determined by a GMST. I am not sure, if using this GMST is already implemented.

3. I agree that our collision implementation is far from perfect, but I haven't seen any major problems since the recent revisions.

4. Known issue and unlikely to be fixed. IMHO the default button is a poor choice for binding it to the console. Using a key that produces a printable character to open/close a GUI element with text input is a bad idea.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

Zini wrote:4. Known issue and unlikely to be fixed. IMHO the default button is a poor choice for binding it to the console. Using a key that produces a printable character to open/close a GUI element with text input is a bad idea.
You are right about this Zini, but even I have to say that it is pretty much the 'De facto' standard used by many triple A titles when accessing the console. From Morrowind to Skyrim and beyond...

I see some options:
1) Leave as is, but this will have to be a FAQ entry because it will be the cause of MANY bug reports.
2) Allow (tilda) use as a special case, just do not print this one character, ever.
3) Allow any printable character, but do a check to see if it is bound to console, then do not print.

Is this something that could be voted on or are you absolutely adamant about option 1?
Greendogo

Post by Greendogo »

Lazaroth wrote:2. You can active things at too far range, e.g. picking up things or talking to people.
Zini wrote:2. I did not notice a difference. But I guess one could try to messure the distance, to see if adjustments are needed. AFAIK the maximum activation distance is determined by a GMST. I am not sure, if using this GMST is already implemented.
This may be related to Bug #429.
Last edited by Greendogo on 29 Nov 2012, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Zini

Post by Zini »

I see some options:
1) Leave as is, but this will have to be a FAQ entry because it will be the cause of MANY bug reports.
2) Allow (tilda) use as a special case, just do not print this one character, ever.
3) Allow any printable character, but do a check to see if it is bound to console, then do not print.

Is this something that could be voted on or are you absolutely adamant about option 1?
I am not absolutely adamant about option 1. I wouldn't hurt to go for 3. It just doesn't make sense in my opinion. If we block some printable characters, we may lose functionality in the console (because these characters may be needed for something). Option 2 is out of question though. Would be a pain to implement correctly considering that keyboard layouts differ.

But if we absolutely want to change it, then we should also consider option 4:

4) Disallow binding printable character keys to functions that open UI elements with text input.
You are right about this Zini, but even I have to say that it is pretty much the 'De facto' standard used by many triple A titles when accessing the console. From Morrowind to Skyrim and beyond...
Honestly? Don't care. If it makes no sense, then it makes no sense, even if everybody else is doing it. If no one rises up against nonsential de facto standard, we will never get any improvements.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I agree, I think it is an odd choice as well. However we need to embrace the fact that many people will default to tilda expecting a console and then come here/there/wherever complaining. We should be as up front about this as possible.

Options 3 and 4 sound reasonable to me.
Lazaroth

Post by Lazaroth »

Some quick notes:

2. The difference is very noticeable here. It's probably double the range as vanilla Morrowind. Feels like telekinesis.

3. The main issue for me is that it always try to climb semi-high objects, such as the railings on the Balmora stairs, instead of just standing still. It never succeeds, but sometimes get stuck so I can't move without tcl.

Some larger object have the same issue, such as people. When walking on them, the player tries to climb. I've also experienced getting stuck mid air against a npc.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Zini wrote:Honestly? Don't care. If it makes no sense, then it makes no sense, even if everybody else is doing it. If no one rises up against nonsential de facto standard, we will never get any improvements.
I think that's because most AAA games come from the US where they have the tilde on their keyboard. My keyboard (German Apple keyboard) doesn't have the tilde character, in some games i can just use the key that would be tilde, but in others (like Morrowind) I have to get out of the game, change my keyboard profile, open up the console and then get out of the game again to change my keyboard profile back, enter the code, get out of the game, change keyboard profile, close the console and then get out again to set the keyboard profile back. All this could be avoided if I could just remap the console key to something else.
rpopovici

Post by rpopovici »

Every keyboard should have the tilde key. On european apple keyboards it is close to the left shift key or close to right shift key.
HiPhish

Post by HiPhish »

Well, tell that to th people who designed the German keyboard layout:
http://clasfaculty.ucdenver.edu/tphilli ... oard-a.jpg

There is a tilde, but it's a special character accessed through a key combo (Alt Gr and + or on Mac Alt and N) hardly any game, if any at all, gets it. Another thing that annoys me greatly is that the German keyboard layout is a QWERTZ, meaning the Z and Y keys are swapped. If you want to do ctrl and Z (or cmd and Z) you have to twist your hand in a really awkward way. That's why I took off those two keys, swapped them back and made a custom German QWERTY keyboard layout. Now I don't have to break my wrist anymore each time i want to undo something.
raevol

Post by raevol »

HiPhish wrote:Well, tell that to th people who designed the German keyboard layout:
http://clasfaculty.ucdenver.edu/tphilli ... oard-a.jpg
So, it's not a tilde, but the key to the left of the backspace might be the same one? ~ and ` share a key on us keyboards.