Better windows build instructions

Everything about development and the OpenMW source code.


  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

sjek

  • Posts: 403
  • Joined: 22 Nov 2014, 10:51

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post14 Jan 2017, 15:58

done .p
question thought, does the 7zip filemanager need to be on windows environment paths or in CL folder itself .?
"life is crazy"
"craziness has beauty which only crazies understand" some movie clip in the head.
https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=Testing
Offline
User avatar

Ace (SWE)

  • Posts: 697
  • Joined: 15 Aug 2011, 14:56

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post14 Jan 2017, 18:35

Needs to be on the Windows PATH, I think it even says so in the guide.
Offline

Allofich

  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 28 May 2016, 12:50

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post24 Jan 2017, 09:23

I've reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit on my system and am setting up my development environment again. I've installed Visual Studio 2017 RC this time instead of 2015 to experiment with, but when I try to use before_script.msvc, it always silently quits after "Bullet 2.83.7..." in the extracting dependencies part. I've never used this script before, could it be related to my using Visual Studio 2017 RC? I copied 7zFM into one of the Path directories, but no luck.

If I can't get it working through the script, I'll fall back to the way I set it up previously, which is the step-by-step guide by GBlues at https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=User:Gblues.
Offline
User avatar

Ace (SWE)

  • Posts: 697
  • Joined: 15 Aug 2011, 14:56

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post24 Jan 2017, 21:06

Allofich wrote:I've reinstalled Windows 7 64-bit on my system and am setting up my development environment again. I've installed Visual Studio 2017 RC this time instead of 2015 to experiment with, but when I try to use before_script.msvc, it always silently quits after "Bullet 2.83.7..." in the extracting dependencies part. I've never used this script before, could it be related to my using Visual Studio 2017 RC? I copied 7zFM into one of the Path directories, but no luck.

If I can't get it working through the script, I'll fall back to the way I set it up previously, which is the step-by-step guide by GBlues at https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title=User:Gblues.


That script will only work with VS2103/2015, since the dependencies have only been built with those toolkits. Sorry.
The reason it fails to extract Bullet for instance, is because there's no VS2017 package for it.

But yeah, I had a huge step-by-step guide for Ogre back in the day, just haven't had time to update it for OSG. Gblues guide seems to be quite good, even if it skips all the Qt parts.
Though reading through it, I would probably recommend going with openal_soft instead of Creative's old OpenAL SDK. Available from here; http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal-binaries/
Offline

Allofich

  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 28 May 2016, 12:50

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post25 Jan 2017, 13:08

I got the script working. First I uninstalled Visual Studio Community 2017 RC and installed Visual Studio Community 2015. I then tried the script but it still failed at the same spot. Looks like I had wrongly assumed that maybe I could just copy the 7-Zip executable 7zFM.exe into a location on my system path and it would work that way. Adding 7-Zip to my Path environment variable allowed the script to run.

The script then stopped after the "Configuring..." message. I looked at the script and saw it was running cmake, so I installed CMake. It still didn't run after that, so I added CMake to my Path environment variable, and then the script finished properly. I just successfully built using the Visual Studio solution file that it made.

So I'm kind of curious again to see if Visual Studio Community 2017 RC will work, and I might try that again later. That guide page should probably add that you need CMake with, it would seem, its location (for example C:\Program Files\CMake\bin\) in the Path environment variable. There's an option to add that during CMake installation.
Offline
User avatar

Ace (SWE)

  • Posts: 697
  • Joined: 15 Aug 2011, 14:56

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post25 Jan 2017, 17:43

Updated the gist to make the CMake requirement more explicit.

Probably going to have to set up and build 2017 packages as well once that goes out of RC state, if for no other reason than the fact I want to start using VS2017 for my own development.
Offline

Allofich

  • Posts: 91
  • Joined: 28 May 2016, 12:50

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post25 Jan 2017, 18:20

Thank you for the script, by the way! Once those few things are set up its a quick and clean way to get things running. :)
Offline

NullCascade

  • Posts: 19
  • Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 07:58

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post09 Feb 2017, 09:03

Allofich wrote:Thank you for the script, by the way! Once those few things are set up its a quick and clean way to get things running. :)
+1 -- Makes things so much easier.

There was an update a day ago that updated the minimum Bullet version. You can still build and manually update it easily enough, but it'd be great to see the script/hosted libs/src updated.
Offline
User avatar

Atahualpa

  • Posts: 665
  • Joined: 09 Feb 2016, 20:03

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post10 Feb 2017, 21:18

Ace (SWE) wrote:Updated the gist to make the CMake requirement more explicit.

Probably going to have to set up and build 2017 packages as well once that goes out of RC state, if for no other reason than the fact I want to start using VS2017 for my own development.

I have worked with a development environment on Windows for a few weeks now and I also wanted to thank you for the script and the instructions -- after trying to manually set up everything, this was very welcome.
Offline
User avatar

Ace (SWE)

  • Posts: 697
  • Joined: 15 Aug 2011, 14:56

Re: Better windows build instructions

Post11 Feb 2017, 12:44

I still have the old Gist on setting up a development environment back when we used Ogre3D, quite the horrorshow in the amount of steps.
Getting set up for Windows development takes far too much time and work.

But yeah, going to see about setting up build tools to do all of the CI-script packaging automatically, right now there's far too much manual action needed from my side to be able to accurately track releases.

Previous


Return to Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest