To a dev: Question of how the controller layout works

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
Destroyer5150

To a dev: Question of how the controller layout works

Post by Destroyer5150 » 21 Sep 2020, 17:45

How do the controls let you duck, move, aim, and attack all at the same time? I've been trying to explain this to the dolphin team and a guy working on a fork and I'm not being understood. I think it would be a huge quality of life improvement towards game designed for multi button input emulating on touch screen. And if possible, can the Openmw touch design and or code be shared with them please? And if yes, can you link me only the controls? Thank you

AnyOldName3

Re: To a dev: Question of how the controller layout works

Post by AnyOldName3 » 21 Sep 2020, 19:58

I'm afraid you're not being understood here, either. Are you just asking how we make it so you can press multiple inputs at once? If so, we don't do anything special, and I don't think there's anything that would be helpful for Dolphin Emulator.
AnyOldName3, Master of Shadows

Destroyer5150

Post by Destroyer5150 » 21 Sep 2020, 20:29

Yeah because you can't press multiple buttons WITH ONE THUMB on dolphin. Take Metroid prime for instance, You can't lock on, move, and shoot all at once. You'd have to do some fancy finger gymnastics to pull some stuff off. There's is a simple joystick layout and you either press one button or the other. Yours has I geuss you can call it a joystick zone and you can duck and move with one finger. Also in Skyward sword where there's no toggle lock so you have to use three or for finger's to fight an enemy. With your layout, I'd be able to set the Lock on button in the same zone as the left analog and hit and hold lock and move and dodge and fight much easier. And having the swing mapped to the right analog stick (zone where the mouse is assigned) and assigning all those extra buttons to different actions, I think just skyward sword could be better on touchscreen than with a stupid wiimote. Not to mention the other fps games on gc and wii! Sorry if I'm still not clear, I'm better at beating rocks together than coding lol actually just don't have the hardware or the skill and an unlucky life

Destroyer5150

Post by Destroyer5150 » 21 Sep 2020, 21:25

Ok using skyward sword as an example, in order to do a skyward strike with a real wiimote, you hold up your sword (wiimote) until its charged and then swing. What I would do for touchscreen is expand the "right analog stick "zone" to fill upthe left half of my screen so wherever I touch on that area would be relative Right analog center, and using skyward strike as the example, (if possible) I'd have one button that holds my sword up in that area of the screen so all I would have to do is, hold that one button till my sword is charged than swipe! Then just beat it with a hammer and hope it works! Then expand on that idea.

AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 » 22 Sep 2020, 00:08

That's not something you're ever likely to be able to do with an emulator. Dolphin doesn't have much power to change how the games it runs actually work unless someone good at reverse engineering and assembly programming implements a mod as a Gecko or Action Replay code. Until fairly recently, it wasn't even possible to complete Skyward Sword without a real Wiimote Plus, but recently they added a system where you can map controls to move a simulated Wiimote around and its sensor output gets calculated and fed to the game. In theory, maybe someone could make an Android UI specifically for Skyward Sword that had dedicated buttons to flail the virtual Wiimote in all the unique ways required for each puzzle, but it would be a major undertaking, and also not something that needs any inspiration from OpenMW.
AnyOldName3, Master of Shadows

Destroyer5150

Post by Destroyer5150 » 22 Sep 2020, 02:56

OK I'm still not being understood. It's already playable with touch. I give up lol. Thank you for your time and thank you for your contribution to the world with your hard work.