Android part 2

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
xyzz

Re: Android part 2

Post by xyzz »

arithmaldor wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 16:58 Is there any way to use a bluetooth controller to play, either with direct mapping or mapping to screen regions to emulate touch?
Yes, bluetooth controllers should work without any configuration needed.
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

Hi guys.

I've had this issue with this Android port for quite a while (It's never worked for me since I tried when I first saw xyzz's work). The game opens and runs just fine (quite smooth) while setting up your name and walking through the ship. Once I click the button to exit the ship it just exits with no errors. The exit sound plays about half way. I haven't read through all the other threads about the Android port.

I'm using the Steam Morrowind data files without any mods installed.

Things I have tried:
- Both GLESv1 and GLESv2:
- When using GLESv2 the game doesn't even make it into the ship. Once you pass the intro video after pressing "New", it exits.
- OpenMW fork and mainline OSG versions

Things I haven't tried:
- Very old builds (before August or so).
- Copying and loading a save game from my PC.

I'm using a Huawei P8 Lite (2015 model)

Are there logs stored anywhere?
Sonny101

Post by Sonny101 »

Jodiwe wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 17:26 Hi guys.

I've had this issue with this Android port for quite a while (It's never worked for me since I tried when I first saw xyzz's work). The game opens and runs just fine (quite smooth) while setting up your name and walking through the ship. Once I click the button to exit the ship it just exits with no errors. The exit sound plays about half way. I haven't read through all the other threads about the Android port.

I'm using the Steam Morrowind data files without any mods installed.

Things I have tried:
- Both GLESv1 and GLESv2:
- When using GLESv2 the game doesn't even make it into the ship. Once you pass the intro video after pressing "New", it exits.
- OpenMW fork and mainline OSG versions

Things I haven't tried:
- Very old builds (before August or so).
- Copying and loading a save game from my PC.

I'm using a Huawei P8 Lite (2015 model)

Are there logs stored anywhere?
have you tried to turn off preloading? heard that helped some people
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

Sonny101 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 19:33 have you tried to turn off preloading? heard that helped some people
Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried playing with that setting to no avail. it was off by default, so I enabled it, and it crashed the same as before.

I'm at my computer at home now, so I'll see if I can make a save and transfer it across somehow. That'll tell me if it's the exterior in general, or going between any cells.

edit: I think I've put the saves in the right place, but the game keeps deleting them. Is /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/openmw/saves the right place?

edit 2: Thanks to Muramasa66's post on the previous thread, it's at /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/share/openmw/saves. Put my save files there, and it loads fine. The game still crashes whenever I go through a door (inside -> outside OR outside -> inside).
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

I've published a new release, you can download it from GitHub
- Updated OpenMW to 8834ee95bea9d04fad3a786ada6eb9a3f0d8a16b
- Updated gl4es to 0f0e118c3f8c28282857b7ef507c3b209f7f6317
MistFuror

Post by MistFuror »

xyzz wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 20:25 I've published a new release, you can download it from GitHub
Great news! This new update fixed the crash upon exiting the ship! Thank you so much, you're the best!
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

xyzz wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 20:25 I've published a new release, you can download it from GitHub
Thanks xyzz! That works perfectly now. Was the gl4es version causing the issue? Also, thanks ptitSeb for the work on gl4es.
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

No, it should be something in openmw, there aren't many changes in gl4es.
Jodiwe

Post by Jodiwe »

So after actually getting a bit of time to try things. Here's what I've noticed:
OpenGL ES 1 with mainline OSG is somewhat stable, with some crashes on transitions between interiors and exteriors, and sometimes just loading a fresh game.
OpenGL ES 1 with OpenMW forked OSG works sometimes, but crashes much more often on transitions. It also has artifacts where some objects are textured in white at a lot of camera angles (see bottom of post).
OpenGL ES 2 with either version of OSG crash while loading a game. I can hear the water sounds when loading a save near water, but the game exits before then.

OpenGL ES 1 with forked OSG artifacts:
I've turned the down the view distance, and set scaling to 1.5 to get playable framerates.
Some of the objects go white when moving the camera around:

Is this my phone running out of VRAM?

I've installed Android Studio on my computer, checked out https://github.com/xyzz/openmw-android and run the build script in the terminal, but haven't got the Android part to build because of licensing issues. I'll see what I can do when I get some more time. Is there a simpler way to debug the code on my phone? I've used ADB in the past to grant permissions and such, but never to debug an app. Is there a tutorial somewhere? I use elementary OS Juno.

Thanks!
xyzz

Post by xyzz »

Jodiwe wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 00:08 I've installed Android Studio on my computer, checked out https://github.com/xyzz/openmw-android and run the build script in the terminal, but haven't got the Android part to build because of licensing issues. I'll see what I can do when I get some more time. Is there a simpler way to debug the code on my phone? I've used ADB in the past to grant permissions and such, but never to debug an app. Is there a tutorial somewhere? I use elementary OS Juno.

Thanks!
I assume you want to debug OpenMW (and not the java wrapper). It's explained in https://github.com/xyzz/openmw-android# ... ative-code, you have to use console gdb. While android studio has some support for native code debugging I've never used it myself so no idea how well it works or what you have to do to make it work.