Would OpenMW be possible on the Playstation Vita?

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
xAltairSpartanx

Would OpenMW be possible on the Playstation Vita?

Post by xAltairSpartanx »

With the recent hack for the Vita and the gates being open to hombrew and the likes, would it possible to port this over? If an android release is possible i wouldn't imagine it is out of the question. Just wanted everyone's thoughts and opinions!
Chris

Re: Would OpenMW be possible on the Playstation Vita?

Post by Chris »

Depends on the hardware capabilities, I imagine. How much memory it has (vs how much OpenMW requires), how good its CPU is, and what level of OpenGL/GLES it can support.
xAltairSpartanx

Post by xAltairSpartanx »

Here are the specs for the vita
CPU – ARM Cortex A9 core (4 core)
GPU – SGX543MP4+
Screen – 5 inches, 960 x 544 (16:9), Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen, capacitive
Memory – 512MB
VRAM – 512MB

Here is what vita users are using as far as opengl. It's called Vitagl
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comm ... tagl_test/

Looks like it can run quake, doom and counterstrike. Not sure how those stack up to OpenMW. Would love to hear your thoughts
Malsdurr

Post by Malsdurr »

I'm sure if the Vita can run MGS2 and MGS3 at 30/60fps depending where you are in the game Morrowind should be no sweat for it if it's only good hardware you need to run it.
Detharias

Post by Detharias »

Sorry to say, but the MGS ports were rebuilt ground up around the Vita hardware limitations, on Android I have 8gb of ram, and a snapdragon 835 with the OnePlus 5t and it can still chug, not only that it would require a whole new rewrite for the Vita architecture, no easy feat by any means, would be nice, I love my Vita, and would definitely enjoy that as a Morrowind machine, but the pheasability isn't there, that four core chip you are wanting to run it on is the same chip that was in the I phone 4, and only recently was it able to be overclocked to 500mhz, that 4 cores, with only 2 at 500mhz, if an octocore that I have rooted to overclock to 2.3 GHz ain't cutting there is no way without drastically removing features, think less than Morrowind on OG Xbox, and don't misunderstand me, I would love it to happen, and be proven wrong, but you have to think about the logistics of actually making that happen, especially since the devs are still trying to make sure the Android port stays within a gray area, you start writing programs to run on a Sony console that was never meant to have Homebrew content you can bet on a whole different can of worms being opened
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

xAltairSpartanx wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 05:05 Here are the specs for the vita
CPU – ARM Cortex A9 core (4 core)
GPU – SGX543MP4+
Screen – 5 inches, 960 x 544 (16:9), Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen, capacitive
Memory – 512MB
VRAM – 512MB

Here is what vita users are using as far as opengl. It's called Vitagl
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comm ... tagl_test/

Looks like it can run quake, doom and counterstrike. Not sure how those stack up to OpenMW. Would love to hear your thoughts
hmmmm. is it 1gb ram but half is being used as swap? is there anyway to eliminate the alloted VRAM ?
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

Detharias wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 15:58 Sorry to say, but the MGS ports were rebuilt ground up around the Vita hardware limitations, on Android I have 8gb of ram, and a snapdragon 835 with the OnePlus 5t and it can still chug, not only that it would require a whole new rewrite for the Vita architecture, no easy feat by any means, would be nice, I love my Vita, and would definitely enjoy that as a Morrowind machine, but the pheasability isn't there, that four core chip you are wanting to run it on is the same chip that was in the I phone 4, and only recently was it able to be overclocked to 500mhz, that 4 cores, with only 2 at 500mhz, if an octocore that I have rooted to overclock to 2.3 GHz ain't cutting there is no way without drastically removing features, think less than Morrowind on OG Xbox, and don't misunderstand me, I would love it to happen, and be proven wrong, but you have to think about the logistics of actually making that happen, especially since the devs are still trying to make sure the Android port stays within a gray area, you start writing programs to run on a Sony console that was never meant to have Homebrew content you can bet on a whole different can of worms being opened
ok. you got a qualcomm 835 soc that is rooted and your game "chugs"? sounds like someone needs some help configuring settings.cfg lol. i dont know about the one plus but that board is in the note 8, S9, and razer gaming phone . other than the fps at 60, which isnt really the phones fault its only rated to record/render at 30 fps, that thing was lightning.
Detharias

Post by Detharias »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 18:52
Detharias wrote: 19 Sep 2018, 15:58 Sorry to say, but the MGS ports were rebuilt ground up around the Vita hardware limitations, on Android I have 8gb of ram, and a snapdragon 835 with the OnePlus 5t and it can still chug, not only that it would require a whole new rewrite for the Vita architecture, no easy feat by any means, would be nice, I love my Vita, and would definitely enjoy that as a Morrowind machine, but the pheasability isn't there, that four core chip you are wanting to run it on is the same chip that was in the I phone 4, and only recently was it able to be overclocked to 500mhz, that 4 cores, with only 2 at 500mhz, if an octocore that I have rooted to overclock to 2.3 GHz ain't cutting there is no way without drastically removing features, think less than Morrowind on OG Xbox, and don't misunderstand me, I would love it to happen, and be proven wrong, but you have to think about the logistics of actually making that happen, especially since the devs are still trying to make sure the Android port stays within a gray area, you start writing programs to run on a Sony console that was never meant to have Homebrew content you can bet on a whole different can of worms being opened
ok. you got a qualcomm 835 soc that is rooted and your game "chugs"? sounds like someone needs some help configuring settings.cfg lol. i dont know about the one plus but that board is in the note 8, S9, and razer gaming phone . other than the fps at 60, which isnt really the phones fault its only rated to record/render at 30 fps, that thing was lightning.
I have allot of mods installed lol, i should have been more specific, and no I'm not rooted, I kinda like my Android pay, and Netflix lol, but even then, there is instability when stock, full vanilla it runs decent, I'm just using it as an example, my version of chug is frame drops, and tearing, but honestly, if you could show me a device with similar specs to the Vita, and let me know how that goes, as I said, I love my Vita, and would love if it could be possible, but that's not how things work
thephantomfiddler

Post by thephantomfiddler »

OpenMW got ported to the switch, if this is of any relevance to the topic at hand.