Can I mod OpenMW on android?

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
csombek
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Jun 2018, 13:18

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by csombek » 18 Sep 2018, 20:49

Are there mods or workarounds for getting extra performance? I have a samsung s7 edge and like 40 mods installed (I also use morrowind optimisation patch), aside from tamriel rebuilt none of them is fps draining. I really would like to make the view distance at least double. I tried distant land but it makes the game unstable and with 2 exterior load distance the fps is around 5-20.

Also I would be intrested on hearing how to install the nice pc heavy graphical mods with the workarounds you mentioned.

Detharias
Posts: 16
Joined: 14 Apr 2018, 07:13

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by Detharias » 19 Sep 2018, 16:22

Well, as far as extended draw distance that's going to be hard to do anything with, the only mods that do that are on PC and they aren't even compatible with proper PC open mw, as the more demanding mods such as Morrowind Overhaul you will need to unpack the exe, just a quick question, are you manually adding the files to your cfg, other just putting them on the custom command line section

csombek
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Jun 2018, 13:18

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by csombek » 20 Sep 2018, 10:06

I'm manually adding them. Don't know how to use command lines.

Detharias
Posts: 16
Joined: 14 Apr 2018, 07:13

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by Detharias » 21 Sep 2018, 05:15

Honestly that is the better of the two, give me a day or two to get all my stuff put together, and I will post a full tutorial, along with links to the mods I would personally recommend, sorry for the wait on this, bit my house decided most of it's internal pipes wanted to bust beginning of this week so between that and work I've been strapped for time

mojoswagger1980
Posts: 191
Joined: 04 May 2018, 05:16

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by mojoswagger1980 » 22 Sep 2018, 18:09

Cadis wrote:
19 Apr 2018, 21:50
I am trying to install OblivionStyle Vampires mod but it only has a esp file how do I make it work?
step 1 unpack the mod to the desired location
step 2*(optional) if you unpacked to a directory other than data-files, register the data location in the openmw.cfg locatee at /sdcard/android/com.libopenmw.openmw/config/openmw.
example: data=/sdcard/morrowind/mods/OblivionVampires/ this would indicate i have made a sub folder on morrowind called mods and an additional folder in mods called oblivion vampires.
step 3 in launcher find command line arguments. you must load the games .esm files prior to your mod. you do so with the content command.
example: --content morrowind.esm tribunal.esm bloodmoon.esm oblivionvampires.esp
if the mod contains any spacing in its name it must be renamed. so if the mod is called oblivion vampires.esp you must rename oblivion_vampires.esp or oblivionvampires.esp.
that is essentially it . avoid texture intensive mods they will bog down your gpu .
step 2 can be skipped entirely if you unpack directly into data-files but if the mod adds anything other than an .esp file it will be difficult to get rid off as it will merge assets with the orginal data, if you make a mod folder you just delete folder and line in openmw.cfg.

mojoswagger1980
Posts: 191
Joined: 04 May 2018, 05:16

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by mojoswagger1980 » 22 Sep 2018, 18:27

csombek wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 20:49
Are there mods or workarounds for getting extra performance? I have a samsung s7 edge and like 40 mods installed (I also use morrowind optimisation patch), aside from tamriel rebuilt none of them is fps draining. I really would like to make the view distance at least double. I tried distant land but it makes the game unstable and with 2 exterior load distance the fps is around 5-20.

Also I would be intrested on hearing how to install the nice pc heavy graphical mods with the workarounds you mentioned.
avoid the graphic heavy mods if you want performance. your s7 is nice but it is no pc. keep install size under 4gb. fat is only optimized for up to the amount. the morrowind optimization patch, might help. morrowind4kids has a low def mod. it is in .exe format but can be unzipped for usable assets. less is more in this case. the game will run fastest as near vanilla as possible. texture intensive mods will kill it in terms of framerate.the biggest problem is mobile processor instruction set just cant duplicate a pc's. it takes alot more processing to achieve the same result so it is never going to run like it could on pc and that really shouldnt be the mark your aiming at. you need to decide wether you want looks or speed. to me the choice is easy, speed all day, but people are different and graphics might be a big deal to you. unfortunately, you are unlikely to get both, so try for a happy medium i guess if your going to try for both. also note most phones are not rated to record/render at 60 fps. they run 30. might be a better mark to aim at.

mojoswagger1980
Posts: 191
Joined: 04 May 2018, 05:16

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by mojoswagger1980 » 22 Sep 2018, 18:49

csombek wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 20:49
Are there mods or workarounds for getting extra performance? I have a samsung s7 edge and like 40 mods installed (I also use morrowind optimisation patch), aside from tamriel rebuilt none of them is fps draining. I really would like to make the view distance at least double. I tried distant land but it makes the game unstable and with 2 exterior load distance the fps is around 5-20.

Also I would be intrested on hearing how to install the nice pc heavy graphical mods with the workarounds you mentioned.
exterior load distance has no impact on viewing distance. it just determines when a cell begins to load. distant terrain is system intensive even on pc. it needs an additional thread to process the algorythm and isnt likely to run very long or well on mobile. view distance is one of the biggest framerate killers. your expectations are a little unrealistic at the moment.

csombek
Posts: 18
Joined: 01 Jun 2018, 13:18

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by csombek » 22 Sep 2018, 21:52

mojoswagger1980 wrote:
22 Sep 2018, 18:49
csombek wrote:
18 Sep 2018, 20:49
Are there mods or workarounds for getting extra performance? I have a samsung s7 edge and like 40 mods installed (I also use morrowind optimisation patch), aside from tamriel rebuilt none of them is fps draining. I really would like to make the view distance at least double. I tried distant land but it makes the game unstable and with 2 exterior load distance the fps is around 5-20.

Also I would be intrested on hearing how to install the nice pc heavy graphical mods with the workarounds you mentioned.
exterior load distance has no impact on viewing distance. it just determines when a cell begins to load. distant terrain is system intensive even on pc. it needs an additional thread to process the algorythm and isnt likely to run very long or well on mobile. view distance is one of the biggest framerate killers. your expectations are a little unrealistic at the moment.
So after spending 80hour in the game (and like a 100 managing mods and configs) I think I know what's the differnece between view distance and load distance. I just didn't want to write them down both. And also I wrote that I'm using optimisation patch but thanks for recommending it anyways. I was thinking of something like the fps optimiser, wich is not compatible with openmw :(
In cities 2 cells is too much even without mods, but in the wilderness a big view distance is not a big problem. So some mods or improvement could be made to the port to auto reduce the amount of cells rendered depending on fps. But I don't really know how this works. I just wanted to hear if someone figured out a way to get better performance.

mojoswagger1980
Posts: 191
Joined: 04 May 2018, 05:16

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by mojoswagger1980 » 28 Sep 2018, 02:46

csombek wrote:
20 Sep 2018, 10:06
I'm manually adding them. Don't know how to use command lines.
you have to load .esp/.esm files through command line (i think, can you just add them to the bottom of the openmw.cfg in the content area?)and to do tyat you need to use the command --content . note the double hyphen . it is necessary or the game will only load tye very first .esm file which has to be morrowind.esm . the load order is important the begining will always begin : --content morrowind.esm tribunal.esm bloodmoon.esm (your mod).esp. if a mod has a .bsa file it will not load until you register the .bsa. you do this at the very top of the openmw.cfg just a few lines down. mods that require third party software (ie netframework or any application other than the app) wont work . mods that are in .exe binary wont install but may be installable on pc then transfered or is some cases, the .exe can be unziipped for usable assets. preview the contents if its just a data-files folder it can be unzipped. textures,meshes,.etc..(any asset that appears in a sub folder of the data-files) can be unzipped into either the games directory or into a folder you registered in the openmw.cfg. you do this immediatly under the data location entry, same format . if you are loading .esm/.esp files in anorher manner, via the openmw.cfg for example please leave a brief description of your method.

User avatar
AnyOldName3
Posts: 1092
Joined: 26 Nov 2015, 03:25

Re: Can I mod OpenMW on android?

Post by AnyOldName3 » 28 Sep 2018, 03:54

can you just add them to the bottom of the openmw.cfg in the content area?
Unless the android port somehow breaks things it shouldn't, anything that can be specified on the command line can be specified in openmw.cfg and vice versa. ESMs and ESPs are controlled by the content= lines, with one ESX per line.
AnyOldName3, Master of Shadows

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests