[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
JDGBOLT

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by JDGBOLT »

csombek wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 08:05 I don't know whether this is a bug or normal but when I first load the game it start with 20-30 fps then over 1-2 minutes it decreses to 10-20 fps and seems to stopp there.
Most likely normal as I can get a similar sort of behavior, I believe that is just the phone thermal throttling, when it first starts up the phone is running at idle so is able to run at 100% performance, but as time goes on it gets warmer and has to throttle to keep itself within a safe temperature. You can try doing the suggestions to reduce the resolution, and also adding a framerate limit to your settings.cfg file so it won't perform as fast but will keep consistent performance for longer.
Dragothor

Post by Dragothor »

I found one other mention of the disappearing mouse issue, but it their fix doesn't seem to have any effect on me. Has anyone else had an issue with the mouse cursor disappearing when moving on certain areas of the screen? I'm on an lg v20, game was working beautifully for days and then this issue happened again, I though I fixed it before when I changed the graphics to glesv2 and it worked fine, but now I haven't changed a thing it just randomly started doing it again. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
mojoswagger1980

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

JDGBOLT wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 19:07
csombek wrote: 04 Sep 2018, 08:05 I don't know whether this is a bug or normal but when I first load the game it start with 20-30 fps then over 1-2 minutes it decreses to 10-20 fps and seems to stopp there.
Most likely normal as I can get a similar sort of behavior, I believe that is just the phone thermal throttling, when it first starts up the phone is running at idle so is able to run at 100% performance, but as time goes on it gets warmer and has to throttle to keep itself within a safe temperature. You can try doing the suggestions to reduce the resolution, and also adding a framerate limit to your settings.cfg file so it won't perform as fast but will keep consistent performance for longer.
thats really pretty normal if just a tad on the low side if your indicating indoor/outdoor framerate. the resolution on mobile devices is way more than there gpu's can accurately render. pretty much all of them are like this . every newer phone has a 2k to 4k display when realistically 720 to 1080 would look just fine and run way better at least for gaming. tablets are a little better in terms of resolution but they all universally suck in terms of comparitive hardware and battery life . you'd think there would be some kind of happy medium and there is if moneys no option but if you cant spend $1k plus on a device your stuck dealing with the above.
csombek

Post by csombek »

Well I have an samsung S7 edge so I don't think that it would be a horrible hardware for running this game. Indoor I have like 40-60 fps and outdoor in balmora (wich is the worst place for fps expect for tamriel rebuilt) it's 10-20fps. And switching betwen hd and full hd and lowering the dp didn't make noticable change. I'm fine with 20 fps. But I really wanted to have an extended viewing distance. Distant terrain is unstable (not mentioning the fps drop) and adding +1 cell to load also made the game unplayable. Perhaps it's because the 40 mods I use (skies.iv and hd texture replacer too).
Sinistersnips

Post by Sinistersnips »

im using an lg stylo 2 plus and running version 6.0.1 and it crashes on start. Any help would be appreciated.
mojoswagger1980

csombek wrote: 06 Sep 2018, 10:24 Well I have an samsung S7 edge so I don't think that it would be a horrible hardware for running this game. Indoor I have like 40-60 fps and outdoor in balmora (wich is the worst place for fps expect for tamriel rebuilt) it's 10-20fps. And switching betwen hd and full hd and lowering the dp didn't make noticable change. I'm fine with 20 fps. But I really wanted to have an extended viewing distance. Distant terrain is unstable (not mentioning the fps drop) and adding +1 cell to load also made the game unplayable. Perhaps it's because the 40 mods I use (skies.iv and hd texture replacer too).
lol no your not likely to be able to implement distant terrain on any mobile gpu at the moment. it uses an algorythm that needs its own thread and can be system intensive even on pc . as for your fps its good even though you are way off on your Balmora observation . the more cells an area has to load and preload plus number of npc's/enemies , % of npcs/enemies that are moving, cells that are exterior/interior. Firemoth Island is the worst spot in the game. i was at 6 fps. vivec's ok ebonheart by the docks is bad to zone into ....tons of moving npcs right there. texture heavy mods will slow you down some are real bad like container animation (crash waiting to happen ). additionally game data exceeding 4gbs will slow you down . the sdcard is partitioned in a FAT, which ilhas a maximum individual file capacity of 4gb. openmw is not a single file but its assets are treated as one when ran as a program. and if your mad for mods (who isnt ?)its easy to exceed 4gb. i found a third texture filtering setting that shows up as other but its linear (true linear) . setting the min and max mag filter to nearest neighbor and the mipmap filter to none shows up as other in the texture filtering option but im pretty sure if you have 2 nearest filters that is a linear filter ...its actually the definition of linear filter sampling but i digress, it also requires the least amount of processing power out of the available options.
Last edited by mojoswagger1980 on 08 Sep 2018, 05:46, edited 1 time in total.
mojoswagger1980

Sinistersnips wrote: 07 Sep 2018, 14:50 im using an lg stylo 2 plus and running version 6.0.1 and it crashes on start. Any help would be appreciated.
on start ? as in the actual game or during load ? does your phone have a mali gpu? they have trouble with the cutscenes, try deleting them (.bik). if you are crashing on cell load your going need to edit the settings.cfg . start by disabling preload instances and limiting the framerate.

***edit*** i got bored remebered your question and looked your phone up. ill admit the price through me! i wouldnt have thought a snapdragon octa-core would go for under $100. the only potential maybe issue you might be having is it says your hd recording is only capable of 30 fps on both 720 and 1080 . i dont know if that means the screens refresh rate is 30 or if thats just a limitation set by qualcomm on the recorder but id try for 30 fps if i was you, it looks like that is what its trying for anyway. the lowest resolution you can attain is apways op but yours wasnt bad not as bad as mine was 1440x2560 ! yikes i was lucky it ran at all. runs way better at 720x1280. obviously it only has a fourth the pixels to render lol.
Detharias

Post by Detharias »

I don't want to be that guy, but I've seen development updates, and various other additions to the engine, and the Android port was getting weekly, if not daily, updates, and it stopped really abruptly in April, any new on the Android side of updates, or, if I'm just dumb, an instruction on how to compile an Android update out of files from the Windows nightly updates?
geniussbk

Post by geniussbk »

https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtop ... p=7682109 7 new update, but this port not xyzz and only for arm 8.
Last edited by geniussbk on 10 Sep 2018, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
Detharias

Post by Detharias »

I've been here, and every download link either takes you to a post in the forum, or it 404's, so, yeah lol