[WIP] Android port testing

For new and upcoming OpenMW branches and ports; move fast and break things!
mojoswagger1980

Re: Super Sketchy Way to change device screen resolution (root required)

Post by mojoswagger1980 »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 19:14
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 00:15 Finally got the device itself change its screen resolution (not dpi). the app followed suit =). all i needed was terminal. aquire superuser privledges then enter "wm size 600x800" then launch the app. ****it was necessary to reduce magnification under new resolution or its unplayable***""

this isnt by any means recommended. if your device couldnt handle the resolution it would crash the systemui. you would have to correct it with adb shell. which is the better method as it does not require root. backup your device before doing anything of this nature. and while i do care, i am not in anyway responsible for anything you choose to do to your device.
i got it to sit pretty sweet at 720x1280. i went ahead and re-enabled instancing and it hasnt crashed on the new resolution which is half of what the default was (1440x2560) it didnt really help to set it 600x800 because it still insist upon the 16:9 aspect ratio and my device doesnt really like any resolution change below 720x1280. it cannot use all the screen to composite imahes at lower resolution so it allocates the center and it looks like a tiny phone screen on a bigger phone :( but 720 is pretty good. nice pick up in fps went ahead and put it at 60 in the settings.cfg and we will see how it does under these settings and report back.

and aspect ratio for the win. aspect ratio would be the defining rule behind screen resolution (was news to me) any screen is only capable of resolution its aspect ratio can be correctly displayed at so any resolution 16:9 (im assuming everyone?)sits stable on seem to work . i would think lower would be better but thats only true to a point which is different for all devices . at this point decreasing resolution had no impact on performance and would be the sweet spot to aim for if your trying the above
the cmd wm density allows you change the dpi manually.
the cmd wm size reset will restore default so will the cmd wm density reset
from pc using adb allows this to be done without root. the cmd "adb shell" followed by any of the above work.
mojoswagger1980

Huge fps gain !!!

i seriously dont know how i was playing this before. i thought it was a little slow but omg it is lightning fast with my resolution set at 1366x768. i couldnt get any fps improvement at resolutions below 720 so that was where i decided to aim for and a quick internet search led me to the most common current 16:9 resolution today. it is so much faster i cannot beleive i was playing it much less beat it running at 2560x1440 (which is total overkill.....its only a 5.7 inch screen what the hell does it 2k resolution for?) if your rooted and you have backed up all your data i highly reccomend playing with the resolution on your device, particularly if your is somthing rediculous like my note 5's . the difference is unbeleivable. the built in resolution changer does nothing on my device . well all it does it change pixel density, it doesnt mess with resolution which really is kind of deceptive at least in comparison to a desktops resolution or tv or pretty much anything else with a screen.
Dragothor

Re: [WIP] Android port testing

Post by Dragothor »

Just got this installed, very impressive framerate on LG v20 so far. Moga Pro bluetooth controller seems like it should be good, immediately recognized by the game, but it seems like many buttons arent mapped. Is the gamecontrollerdb.txt the only way to change these things, that file hurts my eyes. I was gonna try to change everything in game, but with the controller hooked up the mouse randomly disappears around menus. Any help in these issues would be greatly appreciated. If i can get this controller setup, this will be the best game in history.

EDIT*: Figured out if I changed the Graphics Library to GLESv2 it allowed me to see the mouse everywhere, so i could go into the in game controller settings and customize, that worked perfectly, then i had to change the on screen controls to only have the button to bring up the keyboard. Now i just have to scour this thread and find the fix for crashing when loading cells, i know i saw it somewhere...
mojoswagger1980

Dragothor wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 00:58 Just got this installed, very impressive framerate on LG v20 so far. Moga Pro bluetooth controller seems like it should be good, immediately recognized by the game, but it seems like many buttons arent mapped. Is the gamecontrollerdb.txt the only way to change these things, that file hurts my eyes. I was gonna try to change everything in game, but with the controller hooked up the mouse randomly disappears around menus. Any help in these issues would be greatly appreciated. If i can get this controller setup, this will be the best game in history.

EDIT*: Figured out if I changed the Graphics Library to GLESv2 it allowed me to see the mouse everywhere, so i could go into the in game controller settings and customize, that worked perfectly, then i had to change the on screen controls to only have the button to bring up the keyboard. Now i just have to scour this thread and find the fix for crashing when loading cells, i know i saw it somewhere...
Hi
Your going to want to navigate to /sdcard/android/data/com.libopenmw.openmw/config/openmw and locate the settings.cfg. it needs to be edited. If you go back to the root of the folder copy the default-settings.cfg located in the openmw folder and rename it . It is a much more comprehensive list of settings. You want to disable preload instancing and limit the maximum framerate to 60. see if that fixes it. Im using a ps4 dualshock. I sync it with sixaxis controller (app) but i remapped it with external keyboard helper demo because it allows you to map modifiers.
CamelsAreKOOL

Post by CamelsAreKOOL »

Hey, I'm having tons of fun with this. I connected a Gamesir controller to my phone and it works smoothly, much better than using the touchscreen. However, I have a problem: I want to remap some buttons, and I can do that in settings and it works, but the controls reset everytime I start the game. Is there a way to prevent them from resetting? I edited .cfg files to fix the reset problem for other settings, but I couldn't find a .cfg file which stores controls data. Anyone have a solution? :?

EDIT: Sorry for that, the problem was me. I usually exited the game by using the home button and removing it from active apps, however Morrowind isn't supposed to be shut down like this. I just changed the controls again then used the exit button in the in-game menu to quit, and it saved the controls! I'm not very smart :lol:
mojoswagger1980

How I changed my screen resolution for a much improved gaming experience

hi
i kind of posted this, but its hard to follow as i accidently replied to a post when i meant to edit so :

i have a rooted note 5 . i am running android 8.1 oreo . i am using a custom rom, crDroid . It's lineage os based. in developers options i enabled native terminal. i checked my current config via development tools under configuration. i noted the current width length and density . they were 1440x2560 560dpi. i launched terminal, gained root . then typed:

wm size 720x1280
wm density 280

how i arrived at this resolution ? i used the games built in fps monitor and lowered from the next lowest 16:9 aspect ratio from my original until i no longer gained fps from lowering the resolution . on the note 5 its 720p. your device is proabably different . when changing resolution you can always get back to the original resolution by typing :

wm size reset
wm density reset

in terminal. root privledge isnt needed if done from adb. the resolution change persist through reboot ....and will most likely screw with your boot animation . still, worth it .

PLEASE NOTE: samsungs stock firmware (touchwiz) would crash hard if this were attempted . any highly modified firmware would likely crash even if rooted . samsungs systemui is particularly sensitive when it comes to resolution change. make sure you have a backup before attempting the above. ok thats about it. one final note if left untouched the device will manually set dpi. adjusting density is really just for fine tuning after you set reelsolution . it does not have to be done in sequence or at all if you dont want too.
mojoswagger1980

CamelsAreKOOL wrote: 02 Sep 2018, 16:01 Hey, I'm having tons of fun with this. I connected a Gamesir controller to my phone and it works smoothly, much better than using the touchscreen. However, I have a problem: I want to remap some buttons, and I can do that in settings and it works, but the controls reset everytime I start the game. Is there a way to prevent them from resetting? I edited .cfg files to fix the reset problem for other settings, but I couldn't find a .cfg file which stores controls data. Anyone have a solution? :?

EDIT: Sorry for that, the problem was me. I usually exited the game by using the home button and removing it from active apps, however Morrowind isn't supposed to be shut down like this. I just changed the controls again then used the exit button in the in-game menu to quit, and it saved the controls! I'm not very smart :lol:
you only need them to stick the one time save and exit via the menu. after they stick they wont reset.
csombek

Re: How I changed my screen resolution for a much improved gaming experience

Post by csombek »

mojoswagger1980 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 02:20 hi
i kind of posted this, but its hard to follow as i accidently replied to a post when i meant to edit so :

i have a rooted note 5 . i am running android 8.1 oreo . i am using a custom rom, crDroid . It's lineage os based. in developers options i enabled native terminal. i checked my current config via development tools under configuration. i noted the current width length and density . they were 1440x2560 560dpi. i launched terminal, gained root . then typed:

wm size 720x1280
wm density 280

how i arrived at this resolution ? i used the games built in fps monitor and lowered from the next lowest 16:9 aspect ratio from my original until i no longer gained fps from lowering the resolution . on the note 5 its 720p. your device is proabably different . when changing resolution you can always get back to the original resolution by typing :

wm size reset
wm density reset

in terminal. root privledge isnt needed if done from adb. the resolution change persist through reboot ....and will most likely screw with your boot animation . still, worth it .

PLEASE NOTE: samsungs stock firmware (touchwiz) would crash hard if this were attempted . any highly modified firmware would likely crash even if rooted . samsungs systemui is particularly sensitive when it comes to resolution change. make sure you have a backup before attempting the above. ok thats about it. one final note if left untouched the device will manually set dpi. adjusting density is really just for fine tuning after you set reelsolution . it does not have to be done in sequence or at all if you dont want too.
What do you mean by all this? I use a samsung galaxy s7 edge. I have changed the resolution to hd in settings.cfg and also made my phone resolution to hd by the performance mode but my fps stayed the same.
csombek

Post by csombek »

I don't know whether this is a bug or normal but when I first load the game it start with 20-30 fps then over 1-2 minutes it decreses to 10-20 fps and seems to stopp there.
mojoswagger1980

Re: How I changed my screen resolution for a much improved gaming experience

csombek wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 17:49
mojoswagger1980 wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 02:20 hi

wm size 720x1280
wm density 280

wm size reset
wm density reset

What do you mean by all this? I use a samsung galaxy s7 edge. I have changed the resolution to hd in settings.cfg and also made my phone resolution to hd by the performance mode but my fps stayed the same.
all you did was change the dpi if you changed via settings and editing settings.cfg value for resolution has no effect.the only way to change the game resolution is to change the phones . you may be able to lower your resolution with samsung game tools . you can also play with texture a little bit . im not sure how much resolution change it provides. you should not attempt the above on stock samsung firmware it will crash the systemui for sure probably a bunch of other stuff too. touchwiz is modded heavily . it is very likely to crash somthing if you attempt to change anything on a system wide basis that deviate from your stock settings.