Help running on Mac via Winery/Wineskin

Everything having to do with OpenMW's TES3MP branch.
ItsaZoo

Re: Help running on Mac via Winery/Wineskin

Post by ItsaZoo »

What if I DID run it in a wineskin wrapper???
imec

Post by imec »

You might be able to pull it off, but I'm not sure how easy it's going to be. The problem seems to be that Wine is having trouble finding the files needed for OpenMW to work. The cloud of yellow exclamation marks you're seeing are the same ones that appear when OpenMW can't find a model that is being used.

I loaded up Linux and tried seeing if I had the same problem and, sure enough, my console is filled with a constant stream of error messages and I'm stuck in the starting area with yellow boxes.

This is a bizarre issue, given that it seems to be loading at least some of the scripts, audio, videos and loading screens. OpenMW-CS doesn't even behave like it has access to Morrowind.esm.

If the issue can't be tracked down, then your other option is to compile TES3MP from source, but the process for doing so is incredibly complicated and even stunts people who have a good grasp of setting up dev environments and such. There also don't seem to be any Mac guides, so this is probably not going to be an option for most people.
ItsaZoo

Post by ItsaZoo »

Hhhmmmm.
Last edited by ItsaZoo on 21 Feb 2018, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Since this is really only about TES3MP, maybe this thread could be moved over to that forum?
imec

Post by imec »

Good news, I was able to get it to work in Linux and connect to servers and it runs very well. This seems to be a Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable problem.

I used Wine version 3.2 and had my distro's package "Mono-Complete" installed.

To see if you have Mono installed, go to your equivalent to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/mono folder and right-click it to see if it is around 100 MB or so.

After you're sure you have Mono working, you should use Winetricks. There is a link for that here:

https://wiki.winehq.org/Winetricks

Although Wineskin seems to have its own implementation for Winetricks discussed by user doh123 here:

https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=20930

Anyways, use Winetricks and select "Install a Windows DLL or component" and then select "vcrun2015."

You should enter a setup after a brief download and immediately be asked to read a EULA, just keep hitting next until it installs. The script will give you regular messages about various workarounds it's attempting.

I realize that some things might be different on Mac, but from what I've read you should be able to get Winetricks and Mono working pretty easily. Good luck!
magamo

Post by magamo »

TES3MP has native linux binaries, mind you.
imec

Post by imec »

magamo wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 14:20 TES3MP has native linux binaries, mind you.
I know, I just wanted to see if I could recreate the same problem. It turns out that it is easily fixable and ItsaZoo should be able to run TES3MP on his Mac barring any other issues.

Hope he comes back, but it seems like he may have given up.
ItsaZoo

Post by ItsaZoo »

I have not given up. RL has kept me busy and with no time to play with this. Working on it a bit tonight. :D

My winery engines top out at version WS9Wine2.21 :?:
imec

Post by imec »

That should be fine. Are you able to find the menu being described here somewhere in Wineskin?
Winetricks is already built into Wineskin. Just run Wineskin.app and go to Advanced, and on the Tools tab is a Winetricks button, with a full GUI front end to use Winetricks.
If you are, you just need to install vcrun2015 and it should be smooth sailing from there.