TES3MP gets covered on Gamerant

Everything having to do with OpenMW's TES3MP branch.
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

TES3MP gets covered on Gamerant

Post by testman »

There is a very awesome articles about TES3MP featured on Gamerant.

By Cody Gravelle | Jul 30, 2017

Bethesda’s The Elder Scrolls franchise has always had a special relationship with the modding community. What started as a handful of fans expressing their passion for games like Morrowind has quickly evolved into one of gaming’s largest modding playerbases, with enough content to form an impressive list of the best Skyrim mods since its release. Interestingly enough, however, fans really haven’t forgotten about how groundbreaking Morrowind was during its time, as experienced and skilled modders have continued to work tirelessly to improve the game that launched The Elder Scrolls series into the gaming stratosphere.
The mod still has its problems, which the team is quick to admit, but it’s also the most significant step toward real Morrowind multiplayer that has ever been made. For that reason alone, it’s worth downloading the mod to check it out and experience it with all the other players who are excited to try it out and make it even better. Here’s where and how to download what could arguably be the biggest mod in Morrowind history.

Take a few moments and read the whole article:
https://gamerant.com/how-to-download-el ... layer-mod/
Last edited by testman on 30 Jul 2017, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: TES3MP gets covered on Gamerant

Post by psi29a »

It's not a mod. Someone please correct them.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Hahaa, yes. I think we are forever cursed to keep getting misrepresented. I have notified the author.
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

it also mentions that tesmp3 is usable without openmw (as in with morrowind alone?). I did not think that that was possible...
Gamerant wrote: If OpenMW is Not Installed:

If OpenMW is not installed, players still have a relatively simple option to gain access to the multiplayer mod. Players should run Morrowind‘s launcher wizard and point it in the direction of the morrowind.esm. "
ST
davidcernat

Post by davidcernat »

For what it's worth, I prefer inaccurate coverage to no coverage at all.
DestinedToDie

Post by DestinedToDie »

Someone just wrote a copy-pasta for any time a person mis-represents OpenMW for a mod.

"I’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as a multiplayer mod, is in fact, a fork of openmw, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, a modification of openmw. openmw is not a multiplayer morrowind unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning morrowind engine made useful by the developers, libraries and community support. Many users play a modified version of the openmw engine every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of tes3mp which is widely used today is often called “A multiplayer mod”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically a fork of openmw, developed by the David and Koncord.
There really is an openmw engine, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. openmw is the engine: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The engine is an essential part of a multiplayer fork, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. openmw is normally used in combination with the tes3mp project: the whole system is basically tes3mp with openmw added, or tes3mp/openmw. The the so-called "Multiplayer mod" is really just a fork of openmw."

[Updated: changed morrowuind to morrowind. -- psi29a]
raevol

Post by raevol »

DestinedToDie wrote: 31 Jul 2017, 00:22Someone just wrote a copy-pasta for any time a person mis-represents OpenMW for a mod.
Comedy gold. :lol:
scrawl

Post by scrawl »

I take issue with the part of OpenMW (the engine) being 'useless on itself', as if OpenMW couldn't be used without multiplayer on top, but I'm not sure of a way to fix that in the context of the quote. Maybe emphasize that you also need the game data in order to use the engine? Still, very funny. You have my approval to spam the interwebs!
testman
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/testman42

Post by testman »

function in the context of a complete operating system
You still left some of original Stallman copypasta in your modification fork.
Is this fork free/libre text? Is it licenced under Creative Commons?