tes3mp Release 006

Everything having to do with OpenMW's TES3MP branch.
SquireNed

tes3mp Release 006

Post by SquireNed »

tes3mp is a fork of OpenMW that has the primary goal of enabling players to share their Vvardenfell experiences with each other. It is frequently updated to reflect OpenMW's code changes (currently it is up to date with the OpenMW master), and the ability for the features added in tes3mp to be ported back into OpenMW when the project is suitably mature is a major goal of the project.

I was involved in the testing for the release of tes3mp today, and I can tell you that it's a blast. While there are still no NPC AI packages being used, you can wander Vvardenfell being yelled at and generally getting up to no good, fighting with fellow adventurers or even modifying the world using console commands (Balmora looked a little different when I first visited it today). The trademark example is a pretty darn good pillow fort from 005, but now those changes are saved to the server; if you leave items on the ground, they will be there when you return, even if you disconnect.

Spellcasting is the most obvious new feature, however. You can cast spells at players or NPCs and see their effects (NPCs are not yet synced!), or be the target of another player's spells or your own spells following a bout with spell reflection.

Containers are also synced between players, and crashing issues regarding teleportation and open containers have been fixed. Crashes have also been fixed that came as a result of a new optimization feature, which had limited the server to sending only relevant position updates for other players.

Best yet for OpenMW players, all you need to play tes3mp is to download the executables and run them; it will automatically use your OpenMW configuration for optimal results.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/mwmult ... 3785729189
silentthief

Re: tes3mp Release 006

Post by silentthief »

Thank you for sharing this. Always glad to see that this is making progress.

ST
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I've had a talk with davidcernat and Koncord (we're in regular contact), he wants to post here but wants to do so after their push for NPC state. :)
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

So I take it what is left for basic MP are NPC and quest states?
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

Basically, yes, NPC state is the next step toward making the game playable.

Quest state is something that raises significant issues, IMO, though they could do it if they figured out how they want to. Obviously, a lot of Morrowind quests involve logically irreparable changes to the world state; even if there is enough data given for a programmatic system to repair the world for another player to do the same quest, there are matters of how exactly this would be done; it would be awful to have important NPCs respawn while another PC is looting their corpse, for instance.
ezze

Post by ezze »

I always assumed that quest would work as all the players are actually a single identity. I guess some quests like Silent Pilgrimage would be weird since once a player started it all players have to be silent and any of them can conclude the quest speaking (failing) or activating the Sanctus Shrine (succeeding). But it should work, doesn't it?
Last edited by ezze on 23 Feb 2017, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It depends if people want it to play like an MMO (where everyone gets to do every quest), or like something such as Borderlands (where quest status is shared between all players).
SquireNed

Post by SquireNed »

I'd imagine this could even be done as a server configuration, or perhaps via adding a listen server function for ad-hoc co-op (everyone shares) and a standalone server for MMO-esque play.
ArashiAganawa

Post by ArashiAganawa »

Can't wait until this and OpenMW are done, I'll finally be able to get my wife into Morrowind, and I can be her in game guide! This is going to be a great experience for her, and for myself!
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

I'd suggest first making it so that the quest status will be shared for all players and worry about the MMO-like system later.