OpenMW Multiplayer guy ??

Everything having to do with OpenMW's TES3MP branch.
scrawl

Re: OpenMW Multiplayer guy ??

Post by scrawl »

Thanks for stopping by Koncord. I am happy to assist in any way that makes merging easier for you (factoring out functions, decoupling, etc.).

Very curious to see how your project is going to work out. I see it as a win-win - if you get it to work, great, but if you run out of time, manpower, motivation or hit an unexpected snag, then people can learn from previous mistakes and pick up where you left off. Awesome!

I take it as a compliment that you called the project tes3-mp even though it's based on an alpha version of OpenMW. Well, I guess we're far along enough now that some people wouldn't notice the difference between MW and OpenMW. :mrgreen:
Koncord

Post by Koncord »

Client code:
Spoiler: Show
Do you think that this shit have to publish right now?
Of course my code has a const_cast >:D
raevol

Post by raevol »

@Koncord: Hello! Wasn't expecting my thread to be the one to initiate contact! Sorry if my first post was a little grumpy, and welcome to the forums! Definitely excited about your work. :)
Okulo

Post by Okulo »

Ahh, look. It's the next Morrowind community celebrity. :D
TechNoirMK

Post by TechNoirMK »

>Irkutsk
Hi there neighbor. Hope you finish your project without any major issues. MP for OpenMW's gonna be all the rage once 1.0 hits the scene.
Shnatsel

Post by Shnatsel »

Hey guys! I took some time to interview Koncord and translate what I found into English to hopefully demystify the project a bit. The "How it works" part might be of interest to you. https://www.reddit.com/r/Morrowind/comm ... on_tes3mp/
Svetomech

Post by Svetomech »

This has been my dream since childhood. Keep up the good work, Koncord!
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Yes, welcome to the forums! This is some of the most important news on this forum in a while. I want to see how this works both when playing Morrowind as well as any future game creation projects

ST
SwissCM

Post by SwissCM »

The Elder Scrolls games have always come off as something perfect for a co-operative experience and I was always puzzled why Bethesda haven't bothered implementing it in any of their games (TES Online doesn't really count, talk about a shitty implementation).

Does removing the ability to pause drastically change the game, though? I'm not sure how many of the game mechanics rely on it but I can see it causing problems when triggering actions through dialogue.
Jyby

Post by Jyby »

SwissCM wrote:The Elder Scrolls games have always come off as something perfect for a co-operative experience and I was always puzzled why Bethesda haven't bothered implementing it in any of their games (TES Online doesn't really count, talk about a shitty implementation).

Does removing the ability to pause drastically change the game, though? I'm not sure how many of the game mechanics rely on it but I can see it causing problems when triggering actions through dialogue.
I think the sad truth is, Bethesda likes designing single player experiences. It's probably very likely they added multiplayer support internally (during one of their freebie development weeks they have) and didn't like/appreciate it like we would.

If you look at Skyrim they are getting players used to the world running around them (talking to NPCs/crafting). Maybe the big need for better technology (TES6), is due in part to supporting multiplayer.

EDIT: Also I'm pretty sure they watch this forum very closely. I'm pretty sure they'd probably consider Scrawl and Zini competitive for employment at Bethesda Game Studios, but please don't leave us!