Typo in the documentation sections of config file?

All discussion on project related documentation including source docs, manuals, and tutorials go here.
abelthorne

Typo in the documentation sections of config file?

Post by abelthorne »

Hello,
I think there's a typo in the documentation related to the sections of the settings.cfg file. It lists a "Shader" (singular) section while the proper one in the config file is [Shaders] (plural), right?
Capostrophic

Re: Typo in the documentation sections of config file?

Post by Capostrophic »

I don't think it's a mistake. "Shader" functions fine as an "adjective".
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It's grammatically correct, as it's the page which documents the shader settings, but for all of the other settings pages, the title matches up with the section title in the actual config files, which is [Shaders] instead of [Shader]. Maybe we should just add a line to each settings page that says "These settings go under the [xxxxxxxx] section in settings.cfg."
abelthorne

Post by abelthorne »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 18 Sep 2018, 15:04 It's grammatically correct, as it's the page which documents the shader settings, but for all of the other settings pages, the title matches up with the section title in the actual config files, which is [Shaders] instead of [Shader]. Maybe we should just add a line to each settings page that says "These settings go under the [xxxxxxxx] section in settings.cfg."
Yes, that's my point (sorry if I badly explained it): as there's no list of sections names (or I missed it), I assumed we were supposed to "guess" them from the list in the doc, in which case Shaders should be plural.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Agreed. Saw the post about this on reddit and this was the solution I thought of as well.

Side question though. Do the headings even matter to the program?
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Yes, they do. If you put a setting in an incorrect section (even if the case of some letters in it is different), it won't be parsed as such.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Finally got around to fixing this. Added a guide at the settings TOC since I realized we didn't have one and we can't assume people already know what they need to do. See merge request here:

https://gitlab.com/OpenMW/openmw/merge_requests/41
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

I'm not super happy with that solution as "Shaders settings" isn't correct English. I'm still most keen on having a "These settings go under the `[Category name]` heading" line on the page for each category.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

I'm not terribly happy either, however, people who are using this as reference are more likely to glance at the headings than paragraph text underneath, however prominent. I think the settings headings have to be the same.

I will add your text for clarification for more careful readers, but I think I need a better solution for the titles than they currently are. My two ideas are:
1) Simply get rid of the word "Settings" in all headings. I don't think this will make them ambiguous ;)
2) Change the headings to "[Shaders] Settings" both to make the format people have to use clear, as well as the fact that they are settings for the "Shaders" subgroup. This corrects the noun agreement even if reading it out loud might sound weird.

Let me know which and I'll make the adjustments. Also open to other ideas!
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Well this has been merged, but let me know what y’all think and I’ll make the changes.