Is there a better way to document mod compatibility?

All discussion on project related documentation including source docs, manuals, and tutorials go here.
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Re: Is there a better way to document mod compatibility?

Post by psi29a »

Please do, this would make everyone's life better. :)
Thunderforge

Post by Thunderforge »

AnyOldName3 wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 23:29 We could always talk to the Nexus people about that. If they don't respond to an email (which they probably will), I might be able to get Tannin to put us in contact with the right people as he's responded to discord DMs from me before when it's been about Mod Organizer's guts, and he works for the Nexus now.
That would definitely be amazing to get Nexus Mods to add this sort of support!

It might be helpful to present it by saying that they will likely be getting more OpenMW-exclusive mods. It would likely be in their best interest to be able to categorize mods as OpenMW-only, vanilla-only, and compatible with either.
kuyondo

Post by kuyondo »

I think I can help test out mods and determined their compatibility with OpenMW. I have lots of spare time. But I am not an expert on editing the openmw wiki page. Maybe I can send the information or documentation of the mod to someone who can edit the wiki page better.
Loriel

Post by Loriel »

kuyondo wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 08:48 I think I can help test out mods and determined their compatibility with OpenMW. I have lots of spare time. But I am not an expert on editing the openmw wiki page. Maybe I can send the information or documentation of the mod to someone who can edit the wiki page better.
I would be happy to proceed on that basis. Until an alternative is adopted, I suggest you create a thread here, in the Mod Compatibility subforum, and post your findings in it.

Most importantly, specify where to download the mod, and what problems, if any, you encounter with OpenMW.

Loriel
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Had a thought on this recently. If Nexus doesn't work out, and maybe even if it does, why don't we ask the author of this site: https://modding-openmw.com/ It's a bit out of their scope, but it's an OpenMW specific site and should be easy to link to. Plus, they seem all around helpful, so might be a good fit. Obviously anything they recommend is compatible, but maybe they'd be willing to add in notes on tested-negative and untested mods.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Perhaps we can reach out... and help make their 'unofficial' -> 'official' ;)
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Lol, ok, I’ll go ahead and send them a message.

Also, guessing you’re joking, but shouldn’t we stay away from officially endorsing anything mod related?
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

Ravenwing wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 14:30 Lol, ok, I’ll go ahead and send them a message.

Also, guessing you’re joking, but shouldn’t we stay away from officially endorsing anything mod related?
How do you mean? They are doing this independently from us, hense it being unofficial. The moment that we begin coordinating with them, then they're no longer unofficial. Semantics and also nothing legally binding.

If it turns out that their way of doing things and handling mod compatibility is superior, then why not work closer with them?
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

psi29a wrote: 20 Jul 2018, 15:00 Semantics and also nothing legally binding.
Perhaps it's just semantics, but I wasn't sure if there would be potential legal trouble from officially hosting by proxy Morrowind related content. Although now that I think about it, I think they just link to the Nexus for everything so there isn't even a question of hosting. I also worried about potential drama from mod authors or users who feel like their pet mod wasn't recommended by the site author and blaming us for some nonsense.

It's all moot if the author doesn't want to deal with it anyway. I feel like you're appropriately cautious, so if you don't think it's a problem, then I'm comfortable with it.
psi29a

Post by psi29a »

We don't host, it's not on our infra. If they would like to work together with us, then that's fine. :)