Game Files Installation

All discussion on project related documentation including source docs, manuals, and tutorials go here.
Ravenwing

Game Files Installation

Post by Ravenwing »

Currently working on migrating parts of the wiki over to our official documentation. I came across some instructions that make it seem like our install wizard isn't behaving consistently.

https://wiki.openmw.org/index.php?title ... ion_Wizard

What is the actual behavior of our wizard supposed to be? There shouldn't be three different things that can happen when first opening the launcher.
Thunderforge

Re: Game Files Installation

Post by Thunderforge »

Right now, different things happen depending on if you have ever opened OpenMW before. If you haven't done it, then it prompts you to load the Wizard to import some files.

As for what it should do? I proposed a whole alternative UI workflow that I really should get back to some day.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Oh ya, I forgot that's how you started helping out with the project! I remember liking the new workflow, and it would probably be good to get sorted out pre-1.0 to help with the influx of novice users once we reach that milestone.

Currently I just find it unacceptable that there are (it sounds like) 3 different possibilities for what will happen when you first launch the damn thing, then 2 other things you can do if it's already been launched before. If there's too many branching possibilities, writing coherent, consolidated docs is basically impossible, and usually means your process isn't intuitive anyway. My problem is I can't really test all the different ways and all different operating systems so I'm pretty much relying one what people have already written.

I also don't really understand the need for a separate choice for installing via CD. If you still have CDs laying around, you probably know how to install them without help from an external wizard. Does this method currently even work? Has anyone tried it?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Installing from CD is actually very useful for linux and mac users who can't use the vanilla wizard. I've used it three times or something like that.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

So it goes to the CD and pulls the data files directly from it? I figured it would launch into a separate setup, which would require the .exe. That does sound useful then, at least to those with the CD lol.
lysol

Post by lysol »

Ravenwing wrote: 02 Jul 2018, 08:09 So it goes to the CD and pulls the data files directly from it? I figured it would launch into a separate setup, which would require the .exe. That does sound useful then, at least to those with the CD lol.
Exactly. It does not use the Morrowind setup at all. I do have the CD version so for me it has been very useful. It also feels very professional to have a setup that can use the CD's.
Jagget

Post by Jagget »

Can we teach installator to detect previously installed game, then ask whether I want to upgrade it?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Jagget wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 07:15 Can we teach installator to detect previously installed game, then ask whether I want to upgrade it?
What do you mean by "upgrade"?
Jagget

Post by Jagget »

lysol wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 07:52
Jagget wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 07:15 Can we teach installator to detect previously installed game, then ask whether I want to upgrade it?
What do you mean by "upgrade"?
Well, when I have OpenMW installed, let's say 0.43 version, and I am running 0.44 installation, isn't it a good idea to give a user a choice: either I want to perform a clean installation or I want to replace existent version with a new one?
lysol

Post by lysol »

Jagget wrote: 04 Jul 2018, 20:34 Well, when I have OpenMW installed, let's say 0.43 version, and I am running 0.44 installation, isn't it a good idea to give a user a choice: either I want to perform a clean installation or I want to replace existent version with a new one?
Oh, you meant detect an OpenMW installation. Yes that might be a good thing. Don't know how it would work in practice though.