New documentation subforum

All discussion on project related documentation including source docs, manuals, and tutorials go here.
Ravenwing

New documentation subforum

Post by Ravenwing »

Every documentation thread I've been on ends up branching into multiple tangential topics, would people be in favor of a dedicated documentation section of the forums under the technical heading? I think there are enough reasons to warrant having a dedicated section:
  • not strictly development related, nor do we answer support questions directly
  • documentation for both OpenMW and CS are handled by the same people
  • not something a general user is interested in
  • easier for me and other writers to find documentation related questions by others
  • easier for others to find answers to their documentation related questions previously discussed
  • feel free to split discussions into multiple subtopics without feeling like we're mucking up another forum with boring stuff
The only negatives would be, we're already getting quite a few subforums. There comes a point when too many places makes it harder to find what you're looking for. And perhaps it makes it difficult for developers who should be aware of practices in documentation to know what's going on. This could be solved by simply having a sticky in the dev section, or adding it into the wiki portion for developers.
raevol

Re: New documentation subforum

Post by raevol »

I'm in favor of having a dedicated subforum for Documentation, but won't be upset if we don't make one.
Atahualpa

Post by Atahualpa »

I agree that we already have quite a few subforums in our "General" section. The "Technical" section, however, only consists of three subforums -- one more wouldn't be too confusing for users.
Putting the subforum into another subforum would be an option as well but, like you said, the term "Documentation" includes OpenMW and OpenMW-CS.

I vote for adding a new subforum and linking to it in our wiki.
Zini

Post by Zini »

Fine with me.
Ravenwing

Post by Ravenwing »

Great, I'll go ahead and PM lgro