Beautiful Cities of Morrowind Issue

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Calibration

Beautiful Cities of Morrowind Issue

Post by Calibration »

Looking for some advice over an issue I have associated with the currently popular Beautiful Cities of Morrowind mod.

The issue is that the interior of St Olms Plaza and St Delyn Plaza are a bit messed up in two ways. One, there is a missing outer door in one of the interior buildings of the plaza in each case. Second the local map in the inventory shows no detail apart from the position of doors.

This is with a fresh game restart and theoretically I have no other mod which affects these areas of Vivec (that I can see anyway). This is a very popular mod and noone else has reported problems in these areas on Nexus. I am running the Mac version of OpenMW 0.47 downloaded as of a couple of days ago (some really nice features in this btw!!).

I have over 100 esp and esm loaded and it would be a right royal pain to manually go through and remove them to see if there is some sort of mod conflict or even load order conflict. I could report the issue to the mod author but I suspect it is some sort of issue with my setup and how the elements are interacting. I see nothing in the standard log file which gives me a clue as to what it going on.

So, some questions are 1) Any ideas how track down what is causing this issue? 2) Is it possible that errors in one mod can cause corruption in other mods even when they address different game elements? 3) Does this sound like it could be an OpenMW issue?

Any help appreciated.
Calibration

Re: Beautiful Cities of Morrowind Issue

Post by Calibration »

Well, the problem has been fixed but not solved as such. By a process of removing and re-adding various mods in the openmw.cfg file and doing a fresh restart each time (the testing mode in the launcher is great for this) I stumbled across a configuration in which the missing doors reappeared. It is basically a mod order problem as what changed in this process was the the order the esps and esms appeared in the openmw launcher (note that I always checked the formally required dependencies), not the order of mods in the openmw.cfg files which was the same before and after I did all this editing.

I guess basically mods can interact under the hood in unpredictable ways even when there is no reason to expect them to.
AnyOldName3

Re: Beautiful Cities of Morrowind Issue

Post by AnyOldName3 »

That really depends how sneaky you expect mods to be, but that's something you can only learn with experience. Sometimes things don't look like they'll conflict until you know minute details of how they work, and other times it would look like two mods conflict, but they don't.