Mod Report - Myar Aranath [German 1.33 + MA_Korrekturen_NEU]

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
TheMechanist

Mod Report - Myar Aranath [German 1.33 + MA_Korrekturen_NEU]

Post by TheMechanist »

Hi all,

just a quick mod report for this German classic TC from SureAI.

Setup:
Download all the files from https://sureai.net/games/myararanath/ but the last one. There is a newer version of it hidden here: https://wiki.sureai.net/Datei:MA_Korrekturen_neu.zip. The older one has two game breaking bugs itself according to the German Wiki
Create a clean copy of a vanilla Morrowind GOTY install and overwrite everything with the patches (Unpack the EXE files via Wine or else you are missing files). Then use the game import wizard to import the Morrowind.ini file that comes with the mod. Choose German as the language.

Used OpenMW Version 0.46 Stable Release from the Flatpak distribution.
Distro: Ubuntu 20.04

Mod report:
I only played for two hours. Everything seems to be mostly working. I will list major and minor bugs I noticed. Some of them might not be related to OpenMW itself. But I didn't test the mod with a vanilla setup yet.

Major bugs:
  • There is a model of a ruin of a cathedral that one should be able to walk through. However the window openings have an invisible wall in front of them. Might be related to how the NIF was created. More research would be needed.
  • There is a missing NIF file for a book in the second village one comes to. It is in laying on the mayors secretary table. Not sure if this is a OpenMW bug or simply a missing model in the packaged mod itself.
    Missing book nif.png
    Missing book nif.png (119.92 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
    Missing book nif.png
    Missing book nif.png (579.34 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
  • Almost all doors to interior cell have a defect apostrophe, displayed as an "?". Not sure what is doing this.
    Misspelled interior.png
    Misspelled interior.png (566.67 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
Minor bugs:
  • The range of long blade weapons seems to be really large. I was hitting enemies with the beginner iron long sword at a range that I would place a spear weapon. However this might be appropriate behavior. I've not compared the vanilla behavior yet.
  • Interiors are extremely dark. Possible an effect from the imported INI. I'm not sure if one could change interior lighting there. But without a light spell you can't really see much in unlit areas. And even lit areas are quite gloomy. Possible wanted by mod creators. It's here were I noticed that OpenMW is missing a dedicated gamma/brightness setting in it's graphic options
  • While it's nice that the falling leaves animation now works on trees, much of the alpha channel stuff is looking weird. The edges of the leaves are having strange contrast lines and the fog doesn't play well with some sprites.
    Weird trees 1.png
    Weird trees 1.png (729.38 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
    Weird tree contrast.png
    Weird tree contrast.png (739.42 KiB) Viewed 3343 times
All in all the mod runs pretty ok. Performance in the forested areas is not really great. But currently I'm running this on an old Thinkpad T450s with an integrated Intel GPU. No new shadow feature for me I guess :lol:
I will add more when I find it. If enough info is found I might even update the Wiki :D
akortunov

Re: Mod Report - Myar Aranath [German 1.33 + MA_Korrekturen_NEU]

Post by akortunov »

Most of these bugs are assets-side issues, not engine-side ones.