Black Soul Gems OpenMW east too much script resources [Untested Solution]

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Husaco

Re: Black Soul Gems OpenMW east too much script resources [Untested Solution]

Post by Husaco »

Jemolk wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 04:16 Not the only problem. Yes, it's pretty nuts in terms of script load. However, if you look at the second picture... *shudder* Having the script load at 47.87 is very different from having it at 6.5, you know? 6.5 is still excessive, I'd agree, but what I meant was that I wasn't getting anywhere near that 47.87 madness found in picture #2.
But the script load per those numbers is measuring how many milliseconds it took the thread in that frame, which is equally dependent on how fast your computer is. A horrendous 50ms on a potato might only work out to be 3 on a top-of-the-line rig, but that doesn't make it any less dire.
zelazko

Post by zelazko »

Jemolk wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 04:16
Husaco wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 10:07
Jemolk wrote: 08 Sep 2019, 03:39 I just tested the black soulgem mod both with and without an altered script, and found...pretty much nothing. I explicitly avoided using your solution, saving and exiting multiple times before activating the altar for the first time with my test character, and got no excess script lag in either case. Both tests had results like your first picture -- substantially more script processing than without the mod, but not nearly enough to cause lag. Running the latest nightly from the PPA on Linux Mint 19.2.
The substantially more script processing is the issue, not whether or not that's enough to cause lag on your computer in particular. I took a glance at the mod and it seems to add a unique script for every single character in the game, or near enough to it, which, needless to say, is horrendously inefficient and indicates that the mod probably ought to be completely rethought.
Not the only problem. Yes, it's pretty nuts in terms of script load. However, if you look at the second picture... *shudder* Having the script load at 47.87 is very different from having it at 6.5, you know? 6.5 is still excessive, I'd agree, but what I meant was that I wasn't getting anywhere near that 47.87 madness found in picture #2.
That 47.87 madness could have been also exacerbated by Vurtu's Ground Cover mod. At least FPS not sure about script load. I removed it.
The script lag is still noticeable withou vurtu ground cover mod if you do not install my way the Black Soul gem mod.
Just hope it works because that solution may not work for everyone it works for me but this is equivalent of saying my windows 10 updates don't slow my PC.
Husaco wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 10:35
Jemolk wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 04:16 Not the only problem. Yes, it's pretty nuts in terms of script load. However, if you look at the second picture... *shudder* Having the script load at 47.87 is very different from having it at 6.5, you know? 6.5 is still excessive, I'd agree, but what I meant was that I wasn't getting anywhere near that 47.87 madness found in picture #2.
But the script load per those numbers is measuring how many milliseconds it took the thread in that frame, which is equally dependent on how fast your computer is. A horrendous 50ms on a potato might only work out to be 3 on a top-of-the-line rig, but that doesn't make it any less dire.
My hardware: Intel Core i9-7940X @ 3.10 GHz
Jemolk

Post by Jemolk »

Husaco wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 10:35
Okay, fair. The real point I was going for was that the fix didn't seem to change anything at all, and that it's just an absurdly script-heavy mod. Having just checked something, though -- I was getting a script load of ~6.2 ms in Gnaar Mok with my quite light testing content list and Black Soul Gems. Meanwhile, my main content list that I do the testing for primarily got ~1.5 ms in same, and that one has over 300 mods, many of which involve significant global scripting. So I think it's safe to say that the mod in question just seriously overdoes it with the scripting for normal gameplay. Cool proof-of-concept, though.
zackogenic

Post by zackogenic »

I'm the creator of this crappy mod.

Past initial testing I never used it myself either. It really is a gigantic waste of resources.

However, I recently got into messing with the OpenMW source. I found a nice way to use black soul gems in a far better way.

It requires some additions to the openmw/mwmechanics/actors.cpp file, namely the SoulTrap class, as I have written them: https://pastebin.com/vLUdV3aJ

This allows you to soultrap any human if they have a matching creature, and doesn't require lots of scripts to be running.

It is probably possible to not need a creature ref, but I'm not there yet.

I doubt this will ever be added to the master, but other compatibilities like Graphic Herbalism have happened before.
KittyBastetinati

Post by KittyBastetinati »

Hmm I wonder why... I know my mod JurassicNightTerrors doesn't work on some if not all mobile devices, probably partially cause the script heaviness. I made a possibly very similar script. It's my trap souls to feed the soul powered dwemer hoverbike script... Reason why it's so script heavy is cause there's so many soul-trappable creatures to add to the vast myriad of If Conditions. I had to make multiple weightless valueless scripted misc items, to handle most of the soul-trappable creatures.

Something I've noticed is sometimes a script compiles but doesn't work, cause it seems to get in a deadzone of being too long to function yet it doesn't know it's too long to function. Best solution I've found is cutting a script into multiple dummy items as I suggested, so something too massive to normally work operates properly. Although of course, then there's the question of what types of hardware can and can't handle ultra scripted MW without suffering severe issues.