OpenMW 0.45 RC for Win 10 64bit and 300+ mods

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Jemolk

Re: Open Morrowind 0.45 RC for Win 10 64bit and 300+ mods

Post by Jemolk »

Enkida wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 08:48
Jemolk wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 04:58 Huh. Entertainers Expanded works for me. Linux Mint with latest daily PPA build.

Companion Teleport works now?! Oh wow! Is there a patch out there somewhere I have to use for it or something? Or can I just not install it on an existing save? Or do I just have to do more work to make it run on an existing save?
There's probably some other mod it conflicts with, rather than an OpenMW conflict. I try to be thorough, but even then sometimes I miss things (like Guarded Ghostgate // Julan), and even then "fixing" them might break other things (like I changed the load order number for Julan by taking out a few mods, something the author of Julan has explicitly said will break Julan). Still all in all it's pretty stable, and no less stable (or actually, even more stable) than vanilla MW, so no complaints here. I think I have all but 3 of the offical Bethesda plugins replaced by mod-makers' "better" versions and most of them work:
Bitter Coast Sounds --> Better Sounds
Adamantium Armor --> Sufficient Adamantium
Entertainers --> Entertainers Expanded (*not working for me in this build though)
Master Index --> Propylons
I know there's a better LeFemm Armor replacer that makes male versions of LeFemm but I think it was rolled into one of my other armor upgrade packs so I skipped it.
That leaves the Firemoth expansion (and even that has a mod, Firemoth rebuilt), and probably one other... oh yeah, area effect arrows. Which was probably rolled into the marksman / projectile improvement mods, but I was too lazy to really check.

As for companion teleport. You need to get the original mod, but then replace the .esp file with this here instead:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwtCkW ... J2c1E/view

You can find that link on Darklocq's OpenMW mod testing page, which is linked in the first post of this thread, and tells you which companion mods it now works with and which it doesn't. Julan is one of the only ones it works seamlessly with so far.
Thank you!

For the official plugins:
Expanded LeFemm Armor would be the LeFemme Armor upgrade you're thinking of, I think. It also adds additional pieces to the gold armor set to complete it. There are actually several Firemoth replacements. For my setup, I decided to go with the Ward of Akavir, which is a really old one I grabbed from MMH. There's also the Helm of Tohan plugin, for which we got a replacement in I think it was last year's Morrowind Modding Madness competition, Forgotten Legend. Side note? Propylons is the best of the upgrades IMHO. It's so nice to have. Oh man is it ever.
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

I do have to warn people that the LeFemme Armor upgrade mod uses the kind of eye-burning high-contrast texture, so tread lightly. Also the second half of the Helm of Tohan plugin available on the Nexus seems to be unfinished (hence why I didn't download it). Also, the Ward of Akvir mod is an .esm file, so I'd be careful and start a new game if you want to use it, don't trade up your mod load order mid-game.

As noted elsewhere in the forum, Julan has a 3.0 beta release out right now; pretty sure it's not yet OMW compatible, and also, I just don't like beta testing on huge builds like this so I'm not going to try it. Also, since I managed to bug Julan out pretty royally and had to backtrack to an older save, here are a bunch of screenshots when I was travelling the world of Morrowind trying to get him to sober up unsuccessfully, haha.

I really like these rock textures. They look better in-game than in this screenshot, at least underwater.

Sunrise on the water

Waterwalking at night with a very drunk disco-ball lit Julan. I call waterwalking "the poor mage's levitate"

Trying to find Julan's ashlander camp while he's still toasted

Found a pretty little mine instead

Siltstrider port

Daedric Ruins

One big-ass tree

A fire atronach. Staying far away from that one! I didn't realize while I was taking the screenie that you couldn't actually see it. It looks pretty good when it's not trying to kill you!
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

And here, some screens of the non-baleeted playthrough.

Ashlands:

Grazelands:

Problems with Ozzy's Floating Grass:

.... most likely caused by the addition of the custom house of Nil-Ruhn:

I like the ashlander tent enough that if I was in a mod-removing mood, I'd remove Nil Ruhn, but it's nice there as it is for this game. And now let me be your real estate agent:

Main foyer:

Alcoves:

Hallway with blingable shelf:

Entrance to the Master Bedroom:

The master bedroom:

The skooma smokin' suite:

The bed:

The view from the wall behind the bed. The waterfall isn't in the new texture though :(

The kind of cheaty loaded desk:

The really cheaty free teleport ring which I neither tried to pick up nor use:
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

The Grazelands is very pretty....

The Ashlanders don't like us...

But what felt like a billionty thug and lout ambushes later, we made it to Vos!

I kind of want that swagalicious armor.

It's a happenin' tradehouse
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Have a big photo update :)

1. Ghostfence retextured in bright daylight - easier to see the script now

2. Interior of Imperial somethingorother at Gnisis

3. Mod: Gnisis Waterfall. Doesn't do anything, but it's pretty :) You can see Julan's old face here.

4. Mod: Concept art Gnisis Minaret

5. Somewhere on the Bitter Coast. I'm not sure if the mist retex mod I'm using counts for outdoor mist though:

6. Some two-guar town on the Bitter Coast:

7. I forgot what this area of the world is called. Grazelands? Near Khuul.

8. Ancestral tomb mummies. Some mod I have installed makes some of these guys jump up, twist around, then die again at random when I enter the vicinity. Like Skyrim Dragurs that take care of themselves.

9. Vurt's weather darkness modifications to the .ini + True Lights and Darkness mod

10. Same scene with my weak 19 pt light spell up, for comparison:

11. I decided Julan needed a facelift to catch up with the rest of Morrowind, haha. Mashti might also get, but Shani and her weird hair meshes are beyond my ability to care enough so far. Julan's new face: MacKom's dunmers redone. New hair: Dunmer hair redone for MacKom's. All you have to do is rename the MacKom .nif files for Julan's face and hair as the one in Kate's meshes folder, then drop in the corresponding textures (and ?bump? maps) into Kate's textures folder.

Short hair, the one I'm sticking with even though I like it less:

I think this one looks better but doesn't suit his sort of rather nervous, immature personality::
From the side, you can see this ponytail:

There was a third one that came in style closer to the vanilla Julan hair, but it was colored red rather than black so I ditched it. There are also promising hair candidates among a mod called "modern hairs for MacKom" but sorting through the files for the "good" hairstyles was beyond my interest, so this is what I got.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate! Happy holidays to everyone who has one!
MiroslavXO

Post by MiroslavXO »

Nice screenshots, but to me everything is looking to clean. Need some dirt on textures. Would like to see some shadows finally, and ambient occlusion would be nice. :mrgreen:
Enkida

Re: OpenMW 0.45 RC for Win 10 64bit and 300+ mods

Post by Enkida »

It's interesting, but I think a lot of this feeling of things being "too clean" is the common misconception that every retexture has to be of the highest 4k or more quality when it comes to modding. In my experience as a (learned) artist, putting too much detail into things that shouldn't be weighted as important can lead to this effect. It's not necessarily that things are too clean (although, they are, and interestingly enough, this happened in the 1980s miniseries "Shogun" as well - they had to call in a US artist crew to "dirty up" the too-perfect sets made by their Japanese counterparts because they were so good, shiny, and new that they looked "bad") -- but that things are too much in sharp, detailed focus. Every tassle and pattern on every rug or curtain on the background is just as HD and sharp as the nose pores on the NPC you're talking to for a quest. Or in some cases, even sharper than the scroll you're reading for the quest. Your real eyes/brain don't work that way, and when you don't have (what I'm guessing would be an ENB) some kind of method to remove all that sharp detail from your sensory input, you get this feeling of everything being unnatural, cartoonish, or uncanny valley no matter how "good" the retextures are. I think the 2019 pastebin guide briefly touches on this phenomenon in its writeup somewhere, but... well, there's not much you can do about it. Vanilla Morrowind comes with a _lot_ of crappy textures, and filtering thorugh all the replacements for those crappy textures for the most optimal balance of what you want to be HD versus "just enough detail to look good" is more work than I as a human being want to put into it.

Anyway, glad everyone is still enjoying these screenshots. I've almost reached status quo on how far I've ever advanced the main quest / Julan quest before, mostly by religiously ignoring every side-quest or guild I've been presented with for the first time ever. It's a good thing I have Julan NPC at my side or I'd be getting my butt kicked by every Thug or Lout encounter I had so far. :lol:
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Julan is starting to bug up a little, as in, I usually need to get him to levitate to make him follow me out of buildings. I think it started happening after I did a quest or two that involved having NPC followers who were not Julan (from the vanilla game). Also, I haven't managed to get him to spit anything out about Shani after she went a-huntin', so I think we're kind of stuck unless I can guess how to activate the next step of the Julan quest. Hopefully this won't be game breaking!

Apart from that, I finally earned enough cash despite economy mods to buy the Triss armor from Seyda Neen. It only cost me a couple of sets of Daedric and Ebony equipment to finally afford it, haha! There is something to earning it the hard way than just console commanding it into your inventory, though. You appreciate it more, I guess? Anyway, on to the screenshots:

The modded tower of Vos is so damn big, that it didn't fit in one screenshot!

After finally being able to afford Levitation as the preferred means of transport, I accidentally uncovered Dagoth Ur at a level way too early (once again). Whoops. he's a little angry red dot on my map!

One of the custom Dremora from the custom Dremora mod

These pulsing egg sacs are really digusting. I think the next time around I'm not going to install graphic herbalism, as a side note. It's a lot of effort for not a lot of reward since I don't do alchemy unless I need to.

Daedric Shrine:

The inside:

Julan's armor is uglier than ever - I threw a robe on him just to hide this hot mess. Red pauldrons are from Piratelord's Creatures - the added in Daedric drow spidermen things sometimes wear pieces of armor.

And the Triss armor, dark version: because my character isn't Julan's fashion mistake, haha.

... I kind of don't like the gloves, and I already skipped the "pauldron" sword belt in favor of the backpack. With the arm guards this armor mesh works pretty well with the better body 3.0 wrist/hand/arm meshes. But if you don't have the arm guards for the Triss armor, it's a hot mess to mix and match or leave out pieces of this armor set.
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Happy New Year's!

Vivec I think:

Dwemer ruins somewhere. I take a lot of cross continental flights to get around Vvardenfel.

Ald Ruhn enchanter shop:

Another of Piratelord's freaky ass creatures, a Land Dreugh I think. It's hard to screenshot these because I spend most of my time clicking wildly and yelling "KILL IT WITH FIRE"

Tel Vos, that Fyr guy

I think this is Sadrith Mora
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

2 quick screenshots and some bug reporting:

New Fists of Randigulf:

Male darkelves, when naked, don't have any underwear on (though they have their underwear meshes, so they kind of look like... darkelf Ken dolls. SORRY NOT SORRY JULAN). I'm not sure what's causing it, as I looked in all the appropriate mods at both the .nif files and the texture files, and everything should be fine. I do remember seeing around the forum something about textures not updating, so maybe that's it, because I also remember when first installing Better Bodies 3.0, I accidentally chose the nude version and then switched out to the underwear version later. But it doesn't bother me enough to hunt down this bug, I'm just registering that it exists - and for male darkelves only. Every other race has their underwear on in the proper place :lol:

Some of the lighting in the indoor dungeons has weird and abrupt cutoffs, particularly in temple passageways. I think this has something to do with the colored lights and candles mod which was rolled into one of the other mods I installed, conflicting with something like true lights and darkness or something. Again, not bothersome enough for me to hunt down and fix, just registering this visual glitch.

And lastly, my problem children: Tiberius and his pet pack guar, Muncher. This is from the Travelling Merchants mod, and somehow this quest is broken. I'm not sure if it's OpenMW incompatibility (there is some stuff that caught my eye in the script for the guar reunion that I don't understand that is commented out with things like "OnActivate doesn't work here, so blah blah blah"), or if it's simply that my massive modlist broke these guys with a mod incompatibility.

At any rate, I had to fix it by going into the console and force-finishing the quest in my journal, because while I could lead Muncher to Tiberius, or Tiberius to Muncher, the two would never recognize each other and the quest would stall, either with me having a permanent Guar follower (Yay!) or a permanent Tiberius follower (not so yay!)

Just in case anyone runs into this problem too, the quick way to fix the reunion if it stalls is to open the console and type in this:

Code: Select all

Journal HB_GetGuar,100
I'm not sure if it broke these guys' trading routes, I guess I'll find out in the future if they ever move or are stuck there permanently. Tiberius' trading functions still work properly, at least, so let's hope these two don't get themselves killed!
Last edited by Enkida on 04 Jan 2019, 19:47, edited 1 time in total.