OpenMW 0.45 RC for Win 10 64bit and 300+ mods

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Enkida

Re: Open Morrowind 0.45 RC for Win 10 64bit and 300+ mods

Post by Enkida »

I'm not a coder, so I can't tell you the whys, but I have a running list of what doesn't work in my modlist so far:

1. all the # mods - every port/siltstrider/boat don't seem to work properly, they don't break anything but they also don't add the additional destinations as they're supposed to.

2. Septim Gold and Dwemer Dumacs - I had to manually fix a missing texture in the OpenMW version of the mod, and something is still funny with the Dwemer Dumac ground mesh (when you see a dwemer coin lying on the ground) - it makes a grey box instead of the coin. Which makes the coins really easy to find, haha, but that is not good.

3. Travelling Guar Merchants hop instead of walk from town to town. I seem to remember this happening in vanilla MW modding too, so I'm not too bothered by trying to figure out the fix.

4. The framerate in Balmora sometimes drops to 3-15 (even with the operating system physics "fix" - I limit my framerate to 40) after getting attacked by Thugs and Louts there. It's not consistent, the one time it happened was the one time the guards killed the Thugs and Louts attacking before I got to them.

on further playing, I suspect:

5. More Inns
and
6. Entertainers Expanded

aren't working either, but I have to test more / look at the readmes more.

Really that's it. That's pretty good for a 300+ mod list I think, especially the "no crashes so far" bits. I did prep beforehand like crazy, despite all the information out there, there is still no one definitive one-stop shopping guide for OpenMW modding that's entirely correct and easily accessible. But if you're a MW modding veteran it's nothing you can't overcome. ;)
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Can confirm that "More Inns" isn't working, so I removed it from my mod list. Don't know about "Entertainers Expanded" as of yet because I haven't hit an inn where I could choose to rest yet.

Shock spell:

Levitate spell:

I think this is Icy Waters at work. Someone actually made a Frostfall conversion for Morrowind, but I felt it was too out of character to install - Morrowind always struck me as a rather hot, almost tropical landscape, I mean there's a volcano right in the middle of the island. Having a cold weather mod only seemed suitable for Solstheim. Icy Waters is a happy middle ground for me that apparently works well with OpenMW.

And this is Weather Effects at work (to make Ash and Blightstorms actually have temporary impact on your stats). Works like a charm!
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

I updated the first post with my everchanging mod list as I tested some more.

Firstly, I took out all the things that weren't working that I mentioned above. Entertainers wasn't working either, when I finally found a "beddable" inn, so I struck it from the list.

Secondly, I added a new OMW only quest (Redguard Rug) and faction improvement (Faction Training 1.2). Faction Training is working just fine. I tried to add in the OMW only teleport ring but sadly it had dependencies that I didn't have installed for the TR rebuilt project that were also out of date.

Thirdly, I picked up the LeFemm Armor and immediately felt the need for a retex. I'd love a remesh too, but all my scouring of the web didn't land me any more palatable versions of this armor. So I went with the very old but still very good Black Domina retex by Mistress Miaura. The resolution on the texture is still vanilla (512?), but I think this mod makes really clear that sharp, HD resolution is not always better if you don't have an artist at the helm making sure the end product is quality. The 1024 "upgrade" to LeFemm Armor pumped the saturation and contrast way too high and over-sharpened to the point of making it look terrible. Meanwhile, the fuzzy old mod got the colour values right, so it actually looks more like leather. I can live with the fuzzy for a low-contrast armor that doesn't make my eyes burn. ...now if somebody could do something about that awful corset mesh, though...

Also, Julan passed his first two scripted events with flying colours, as well as added himself to the Companion Teleport successfully! Commence nervous sweating that my favourite mod doesn't break halfway through... ;-)

Anyway, assorted screenshots:

Caldera

West Gash, improved signs from UC Nature Compilation I think:

Not sure which mod added these flavour Guar Handler NPC slave + guard + guars, but I really enjoy the added life.

Our favourite stupid Nord:

Ashlands:

Concept art Ghostgate + Ghostfence text retext. RR just released their version of a beta of this, but it's too beta for me to want to try it on this install. I actually have never properly finished the main quest (I just found Dagoth Ur by accident while adventuring once), so I don't want this particular game to implode during my proper playthrough.

More Concept Art Ghostgate + guarded ghostgate - the guards took care of Julan's Clanfear problem!

crashes to date: still 0!
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

Keep doing these please, these are beautiful.

ST
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Why thank you, and I'm glad other people are enjoying these screenshots! :)

I had my first OpenMW crash today. I don't think it had anything to do with OpenMW, I was just fiddling in Windows 10 because I kept getting a popup telling me to let Windows decide how to set the size of something called my "paging file." I said sure, go ahead, and OpenMW started crashing after that on loading a savegame (any savegame, even unmodded ones). I put it back to the original values it had before, and the crashes stopped. Moral of the story: never let Windows decide anything for you.

Onto the screenshots:

What to do when you don't have enough "Light" ? Make Julan shine like a discoball:

Dead animals: Horned Beetle (I think this is a Piratelord one)

Dead animals 2: Peter Bitt's Cliffracer Retex:

Living Daedra: Faction Rewards 1.2's summoned Scamp with the Peter Bitt overhaul:

Pherim's Fire Ferns:

This reminds me that this has no image, but the Better Sounds mod + assorted patches are all great. You do need to get in there and do a bit of file renaming even after it's patched, because one of the files has a german title on it and won't play in English Morrowind, though. Eventually the OpenMW modding guide should reflect this information.

Assorted clutter retextures:

A new guy in town (working quest mods):

More West Gash as we walk our way to Vivec (although I cheated and did Almsivi Intervention, which worked just fine with patched Julan and patched Companion Teleport:

A mining company!

Looks like there are things going on behind those gates:
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

You have a crash log?
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

I did a search for the crash.log (or whatever it was renamed for OMW 045) on my Docs folder as well as my OMW mod and installation folders and came up with nothing. I did take a look at my openmw.log file in my docs folder and it had nothing helpful in it - just cut off abruptly halfway through loading some standard "missing layer 4" etc textures with no other warning signs given. I'm fairly sure I can recreate the crash if I just tell Windows to take the helm again though, and post my openmw.log if you need that. But like I said, it seemed like a memory allocation problem on the windows side of things, not an OpenMW problem to me.
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

I'm sick today, on the good side - that means more pictures than normal.

First, graphical error from the mod conflict of Ozzy's Grass and Kilkunda's Balmora - there's probably a way to fix this by removing these particular meshes. These show up because Kilkunda's mod changes the landmass of Balmora slightly.

And more images:
Fishermen in Balmora

Persuasion Response Expansion:

The Old Qell quest:
silentthief

Post by silentthief »

I know that there was recent talk about publicity (on the last bit of the "recent negativity openmw" post before it was locked) and while I DON'T want to rehash that (dear god NO!!!!) I thought that these pics would make good eye candy if we have any new press releases or anything like that.

Just tossing out my 2 cents, because these pics are awesome

ST
psi29a
Gitlab profile: https://gitlab.com/psi29a/

Post by psi29a »

I really like the GUI modifications. :)

That's SkyUI right?