Mods which ask you to modify the Morrowind.ini file?

Post about your mods, learn about OpenMW mod compatibility, check for problematic mods, discuss issues, and give us feedback about your experience with modded OpenMW.
Enkida

Mods which ask you to modify the Morrowind.ini file?

Post by Enkida »

Hi all,

I was looking but can't seem to find a clear answer to this. If a mod asks you to make an additional entry to the Morrowind.ini file, do you now do that change in the settings.cfg file, or the openmw.cfg file? It's kind of hard to find information on it because it's not really explicitly listed in the official docs modding guide anywhere. I was looking on the OM wiki and it said of the settings.cfg file that messing with it was a lot "like the morrowind.ini" however:
The ranges included with each setting are the physically possible ranges, not recommendations.
Which makes me tend to think you can't add a mod's own custom fields to the explicitly labelled ones listed for the settings. So when a mod like, say, Piratelord's "Creatures" or Skies .IV, both listed as being compatible with OpenMW, ask users to make a change to the Morrowind .ini file, where do we now put that change?

I read an almost casual sidenote on the table of the OpenMW wiki for the Skies mod this:
Don't forget to edit your morrowind.ini for adjusting -at least- the cloud speeds and optionally the weather colors and re-run the ini importer, or directly edit those values in openmw.cfg
So I extrapolate from that, I need edit morrowind.ini, then run some kind of ini importer in OpenMW somewhere, OR I can just punch those custom values into my openmw.cfg file directly. For the record, I'm of the "I'd rather do it directly" variety of user, so if I can just add the weather change ini data to the openmw.cfg file, that would be good to know. But if I need to use some kind of morrowind.ini conversion/importer tool, it would be good to know where to find info on that too.

Thanks for any help!

** side note: on the wiki, the information for Skies.IV is wrong:
Rain replacement doesn't work because rain works differently in OpenMW. Thoug you can overwrite with Apel's Rain Replacer N  and have working rain. Don't forget to edit your morrowind.ini for adjusting -at least- the cloud speeds and optionally the weather colors and re-run the ini importer, or directly edit those values in openmw.cfg
That bolded part is dead wrong as per this own forum as of August 2018... might be good to remove that from the wiki page listed above.
AnyOldName3

Re: Mods which ask you to modify the Morrowind.ini file?

Post by AnyOldName3 »

Most Morrowind.ini settings end up as

Code: Select all

fallback=<setting name>,<value>
lines in openmw.cfg. Not all fallback lines are actually used, though.
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Thanks for answering! Hmm, but what if the settings file has multiple entries? For example, the Creatures change looks like this:

[Blood]
Model 0=BloodSplat.nif
Model 1=BloodSplat2.nif
Model 2=BloodSplat3.nif

Texture 0=Tx_Blood.tga
Texture 1=Tx_Blood_White.tga
Texture 2=Tx_Blood_Gold.tga
Texture 3=PLX_CBbug_blood.tga
Texture 4=PLX_CBoil_blood.tga
Texture 5=PLX_CByellow_blood.tga
Texture 6=PLX_CBstone_blood.tga

Texture Name 0=Default (Red)
Texture Name 1=Skeleton (White)
Texture Name 2=Metal Sparks (Gold)
Texture Name 3=Bug Blood (Brown)
Texture Name 4=Dark Blood (Black)
Texture Name 5=Yellow Blood
Texture Name 6=Stone flakes (Gray)

Would that be a line by line conversion and just leave out the [Blood] parameter altogether? Are the blank spaces between some of the characters still okay like that? Something like this:

fallback=Model 0,BloodSplat.nif
fallback=Model 1,BloodSplat2.nif
fallback=Model 2,BloodSplat3.nif
fallback=Texture 0,Tx_Blood.tga
fallback=Texture 1,Tx_Blood_White.tga
fallback=Texture 2,Tx_Blood_Gold.tga
fallback=Texture 3,PLX_CBbug_blood.tga
fallback=Texture 4,PLX_CBoil_blood.tga
fallback=Texture 5,PLX_CByellow_blood.tga
fallback=Texture 6,PLX_CBstone_blood.tga
whoops got some of that wrong it's late (edited )
AnyOldName3

Post by AnyOldName3 »

It looks like I wasn't quite right - the category is included too, and any spaces in category names are replaced by underscores. The first setting you listed would therefore become:

fallback=Blood_Model_0,BloodSplat.nif
Capostrophic

Post by Capostrophic »

Blood textures with numbers beyond 2 won't actually be used by openmw.
Enkida

Post by Enkida »

Someone pointed out to me that there's actually a Morrowind ini importer right in the OM launcher, hurr durr durr. But this was also very helpful, particularly in pointing out what wouldn't work, so thanks for the answers!